Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is wrong now?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is wrong now?

I don't know how much more to replace (at this point could have bought a whole new system). We got the 175/182 codes earlier in May. Replaced the flow sensor. Then got the 123 code. Cleaned the salt cell. Still a code so we replaced the salt sensor. Was running with no code for one day, now getting the 123 code again. Is it the front board or the back board or both? Sooooooooooo frustrated. Husband just wants to fill the thing in with dirt.
    20,000 gallon fiberglass inground pool * Hayward sand filter and pump * Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG * Jandy Aqualink Control System

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: What is wrong now?

How old is the cell?

Error 123 can be caused by a old cell, damaged cell, dirty cell, bad cell cable, or failing control box. The most common cause is the cell wearing out due to old age.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Check the voltage at the cell. You should be able to lift the connector at the cell just enough to insert the test probes from a multi-meter. With the cell under a full load, it should measure between 22 and 28 vdc. Check the DC voltage at the back board where the cell cable connects to the board.

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

We just bought a new cell and installed it on Friday so I hope it isn't the cell. We will try the multi-meter and let you know.

At and rate, we will need to go old school until we can figure it out. Can anyone help with pool numbers:

Alk = 139
    pH = 7.66
    Calcium = 288
    Total Chlorine = .69
    Free chlorine = .50
    CYA = 30
    Salt = 3300

The pool store told us to put one huge jug of liquid chlorine in and 4 lbs of CYA. Go the CYA but not the liquid chlorine because I will use the bleach method, but don't know how much to put in and then how much to keep putting in daily until we can get the cell fixed. Waiting for my test kit to come in the mail.

20,000 gallon fiberglass inground pool * Hayward sand filter and pump * Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG * Jandy Aqualink Control System

5. Back To Top    #5
    South Carolina

Liquid chlorine and bleach are the same thing, only different strengths.

You can use the Pool Calculator to determine doses and also to figure the effects of adding chemicals. See link in my sig.

A gallon of 6% bleach will raise your FC about 3 PPM.

I think the 'large' bottle is 1.41 gal (182 ozs ish) and would raise your FC about 4.4 PPM.

So, I suggest you add the large bottle of bleach. You can add one each night until you get the SWG fixed.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!