Low Amps & check/clean cell

bobt

Jun 25, 2011
I have a Pool Pilot DIG-200. I have replaced the cell w/cable,the tri-sensor w/cable, the main circuit board #883n and I am getting low amps/ check/clean cell. I had the pool water tested by a pool supply place. salt level: 2900, stablilizer: 90, calcium hardness: 290, total chlorine: 5.0, free chiorline: 5, total alkalinity: 95, and ph: 7.6. Can anyone helpme on this.

bobt,

How old is the system? Run a TEST POOL PILOT and let us know what it shows.

Are you getting
Check/Clean Cell
or
Low Amps/Cell?

They are two different warning messages.

Also, have you removed the cell to ensure there isn't any debris or calcium build up on the cell blades? I know you said it's new, but it can happen...

The light turned to check/clean cell. THe cell was taken off and it looked clean, no wear on the blades. The system is about 5 years old. The test pool pilot showed 13 volts with 3.5 amps. I tried boost and it made no difference.

Really only two possibilities.
1) If you're comfortable with electricity, check your voltage going to the DIG-220 power supply. Most systems are installed at 220 volts. Some are wired to their own circuit breakers. if one of the two breakers have tripped, or is bad, you'll get 110 volts to it, which would give you approximately have the normal amps and volts.
2) Since it appears that you've replaced everything else but the power module, its possible that your power module has been damaged.

Try dumping a bag of salt into the skimmer and see if the amps and volts change any. if not, your power module is bad.

I tried putting in a bag of salt but there was no change. I looked at the circuit board on the unit, but could not see any burnt areas. If I have to change the power module, could I use one from an internet site instead of from Pool Pilot???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I took off the cover to the board and could not see any damage. The risistors looked good , so did the capsitors. Do you think it could bee the relays or the 20 amp fuse??? I have not replaced the back board yet.

I changed the Power module #16084 and everything is working well now. It appears that 4 of the capacitors were burned on the module I replaced and I replaced them with 1000uF 50V 105c. I did have to order a new module, so I have a relplacement when the new one goes out. Hurray....

Hello,
I am working with an Auto Pilot RC42 2 prong SWG, I got the low cell warning on the board. Test mode showed 29V 2.8amps 3500 salt level. Clean the cell then restart got 29V 7.9amps 3500 salt level, ran for about 15 mins then the low amp error came back, test showed same as above.
let run went back out light off test shows 7.9amps. So error mess is intermitten.

Visual indicates that the outer blades worn shorter to the inner blades, 40K pool size.

Tech support indicates aside from sticking the cell in a bucket of salt water and seeing if it bubbles, the cell is bad. The cell was replaced about 2 years ago. Im also in MD area north Balt. pool runs 24/7 during the summer closed for winter, chems are normal range no issues this year until now.

Any ideals before i call pool company for a service call?????????

kh112064,

Run the system in the BOOST mode. If you get the LOW AMPS display, go into the MAINTENANCE MENU and do a FORCE REVERSE. Let it run for a minute and do a TEST POOL PILOT. Do another FORCE REVERSE, let it run a minute and do another TEST POOL PILOT.
It's possible that the cell coatings is worn down on one side. This would be unusual as the DIG is designed to retain memory on the polarity direction for even cell wear.

It's also possible for the power module to have a defective reversing relay, to cause the amperage drop.

Update: 10-45am Error light clean cell- 29v 6.3a 85' salt 3300 Tool manifold apart check screen, clean skimmers, pre filter, and backwashed. Ran system light is off, Boost no light, 11-15am 27v 6.4a 85' salt 3300. 11-30am 28v 6.5a 85 3300, Turn power off completely unplug control cord to cell turn power back on, test- 27v 1.3a, Error light... Plugged cord back to cell turn on power, Erro light went off 27v 6.3a after an hour of watching the system no errors and test showed 27v 6.4a 85 3300.
Thanks for the info and help,

The boost mode just ensures that the cell is energized continually for testing purposes. Letting it run a minute before running a TEST POOL PILOT, allows the power to ramp up fully. If you run the test too prematurely, it may not show the correct amps and volts.
Each cell will have a different "normal" range for voltage.
SC-36 / RC-35/22 = 17 - 21 volts
SC-48 / RC-42 = 24 - 28 volts
SC-60 / RC-52 = 21 - 26 volts
The Amperage will depend on the CELL POWER setting; Cell Power 1 = 5.0 amps, Cell Power 2 = 6.5 amps, Cell Power 3 = 8.0 amps.
As the salt level gets low, the cell gets scaled, or the water temperature gets cold, the voltage will increase. With the AutoPilot, once the voltage hits 28 - 29 volts, the amperage will start to drop.

Here's my problem:

Pool Pilot SC-36. Maybe 3 yrs old. Been running beautifully. Dumped tons of salt in at beginning of summer, havent added any since. Had a ton of pouring rain here on Long Island past week and a half, town lost power a couple of times. 2 days ago I see its flashing red, with the clean/check cell warning. I was busy, didnt do anything about it.
Yesterday came home, its flashing 'Low amps/cell?'
So I take apart cell, it looks spotless, but I clean it with Muriatic Acid anyways. Doesnt help. Did a 'force reverse', didnt help.
Ran a test, it read Salt - 3700ppm, 15v, 4.0A

What should I make of this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.