Water still bright blue but opaque after one week

Onslow

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
Kentucky
I've been keeping the pool at a elevated/shock level for some time and running filter 24x7 but not much has changed over past week.

Here's what I have this morning:

FC 10
CC -4 (? I get this by subtracting FC form TC)
TC 6
pH 7.5
TA 90 (this was 60 earlier this week so I added Arm & Hammer per pool calculator)
CH 70
CYA 25

I'd like to vacuum the floor but I cant see/target anything on the bottom. The vacuum head get stuck a lot on the bottom (and suction is not the greatest) so I only try to use for what I can see. Ironically I could see the bottom somewhat when it was getting cleaned up from green.

The color is pretty but I'm shooting for sparkly. Help!

The test kit is Leslie's DPD (I know...) from Taylor.

Thanks

Your DPD chlorine test is partially bleaching out because the TC level is higher than it is able to handle. Because of that it is impossible to know if you have CC or not, though I suspect that you do. It would help a great deal if you had a FAS-DPD chlorine test. In the mean time you can try using dilution to get a CC readings. Try mixing equal parts of pool water and chlorine free water (typically distilled water) together, doing the FC and TC test on that, and multiplying the results by two.

Have you tried adding a little DE to your sand filter? That might catch the remaining cloudiness. Another option is to try using some clarifier.

Also, your CYA level is a little low. You should raise CYA up to around 40 to 50. Though I doubt that this has anything to do with the cloudiness.

You must have pretty good suction if the vac head keeps getting "stuck"? One thing I do is remove the vac plate in the skimmer if it's just small stuff I'm after and plug the hose directly into the bottom of the skimmer. NO chunky stuff though!

The stuck I'm referring to is the bristles catching the wrinkles in the bottom of the liner, I have to unjam it quite a bit. It always goes hose into skimmer as the plate adapter seems to weaken suction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.