Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water still bright blue but opaque after one week

1. Back To Top    #1

Water still bright blue but opaque after one week

I've been keeping the pool at a elevated/shock level for some time and running filter 24x7 but not much has changed over past week.

Here's what I have this morning:

FC 10
    CC -4 (? I get this by subtracting FC form TC)
    TC 6
    pH 7.5
    TA 90 (this was 60 earlier this week so I added Arm & Hammer per pool calculator)
    CH 70
    CYA 25

I'd like to vacuum the floor but I cant see/target anything on the bottom. The vacuum head get stuck a lot on the bottom (and suction is not the greatest) so I only try to use for what I can see. Ironically I could see the bottom somewhat when it was getting cleaned up from green.

The color is pretty but I'm shooting for sparkly. Help!

The test kit is Leslie's DPD (I know...) from Taylor.

Thanks
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water still bright blue but opaque after one week

Your DPD chlorine test is partially bleaching out because the TC level is higher than it is able to handle. Because of that it is impossible to know if you have CC or not, though I suspect that you do. It would help a great deal if you had a FAS-DPD chlorine test. In the mean time you can try using dilution to get a CC readings. Try mixing equal parts of pool water and chlorine free water (typically distilled water) together, doing the FC and TC test on that, and multiplying the results by two.

Have you tried adding a little DE to your sand filter? That might catch the remaining cloudiness. Another option is to try using some clarifier.

Also, your CYA level is a little low. You should raise CYA up to around 40 to 50. Though I doubt that this has anything to do with the cloudiness.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You must have pretty good suction if the vac head keeps getting "stuck"? One thing I do is remove the vac plate in the skimmer if it's just small stuff I'm after and plug the hose directly into the bottom of the skimmer. NO chunky stuff though!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

The stuck I'm referring to is the bristles catching the wrinkles in the bottom of the liner, I have to unjam it quite a bit. It always goes hose into skimmer as the plate adapter seems to weaken suction.
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

A little DE in the sand filter and you should notice a difference in 2 or 3 days.
    pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.