Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG undersized, maybe not working - how to know?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG undersized, maybe not working - how to know?

Pool size 18k gallons. Jandy Aquapure700 is 3 yrs old. Unit was on 100%.
    Now shocking to kill Black algae but owner has suspicions unit is not working. I thought that since I saw fine bubbles fom returns that it was working but unit is turned off and bubbles continue.
    Day before we arrived here, pool co measured FC 1.5 at 5 PM and pH 7.6. Next morning at 11 AM I tested FC trace and pH 8.2+ with CYA 30.

Owner may need to consider a properly sized SWG, or adding a second unit. I have no idea of costs. Does anyone have experiance on relative costs?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG undersized, maybe not working - how to know?

I'd try catching a sample from the return and test the FC level of it. If it's high, the SWG is working. But it will never generate enough to shock the pool, not if there's algae blooming. Running it full throttle probably burnt out the element. Or will, soon.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

looking at ebay costs i'd probably recommend replacing it for a bigger unit rather than adding second one.

looks like it's been running on the edge, and either started to die, or the pool got algae so it can't cope anymore

4. Back To Top    #4

What kind power is it drawing? Amps and volts?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

5. Back To Top    #5

Nothing you have said indicates any problems with the SWG. Of course, there isn't anything that proves that it is working either.

With CYA at 30 I wouldn't expect anything but the most oversized SWG to be able to keep up. I would wait for more information before considering doing anything with the SWG. The water is clearly not properly balanced, and that should be dealt with before anything else is considered.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all replies. Forgot to sample at return and away before shocking. Owner learning to test with TF-100. Will wait to see on SWG after FC to 5 or 10 when sample at return may show difference. How much difference to look for?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

The FC increase you should see depends on the size of the SWG relative to the rate of water flow. In most setups it will be several PPM. If the percentage setting and pump run time are both setup correctly for routine usage it should be about 150/<percentage setting> ppm of chlorine increase over the level in the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I so appreciate this help.
    Next question, there are pits in the plaster where the BA lurks. We are resting trichlor tab on BA for 10 min, then scrubbing with SS brush. BA is fading but some left in pit.
    Thinking to continue shock hoping it goes away, then fill pit with two part pool epoxy.
    Will this wlrk,or is it a bad idea?

9. Back To Top    #9

Update. We did cure the Black algae, but the SWG seems to have died anyhow. I cannot go there to check on it, and the owner hasn't been there either. The pool company has put a puck into the skimmer (not a great idea) and at least a week has gone by now. I have advised the owner to get a floater and fill it to the top with pucks, and let pool co come and shock it weekly since CH is reasonable at 290 last I measured.. Last test had CYA at 60 so they have that luxury. I assume that we can control the pool while the pool company dithers.

Back to the other question about sizing, it seems to me that this is the time to right-size that SWG. No way to know if the board is going to last much longer, some of the digits on the SWG% readout were not legible, it is not that protected from the sun and salt air.

Any advice? If I get a chance I will try to find the answer to the power question, but unless hubby decides to go for a short trip without me, I doubt that will get done.

I tend to think the pool co are idiots in how that pool has been maintained, and they installed the undersized unit post Ike (so maybe supplies were limited, in their defense) but I don't really trust them. The owner is not there enough to manage it, the guests don't care to help it seems.