Could someone explain this to me -Chlorine levels...

May 7, 2011
It seems like everywhere I read the recommended chlorine level is between 1 - 3 ppm and doing the BBB method the recommended level is 3-5 ppm with swg. Why is that? In my Intex SWG manual it says the ideal level for free Chlorine is 0.4 - 1.5 ppm ... that is way lower than the BBB method...why?

The manual also states that the ideal level for CYA is between 30-50ppm and the BBB method is between 70-80ppm. Why the difference? Also, I really don't understand the relationship between FC and CYA.

I would really appreciate it if someone would take the time to explain this to me. Thanks so much!!! :)

CYA is stabilizer that will help hold your FC at the level you want it at. During the high sun of the day the sun is eating your FC that your SWG is producing. Keeping it at the proper CYA level will maintain FC longer. CYA doesn't burn away rather it goes down through splash out and backwashing. As for the higher suggested levels it will be easier to maintain your pool if following the Pool Calculator simply due to the fact you are less likely to have and algae problems and more stability in your pool. Personally it's a plot by chemical manufacturers to keep us constantly buying there products! Follow the PC and you can't go wrong!

There are two different things going on here. First, higher CYA levels require higher FC levels, something most pool companies don't acknowledge. CYA basically holds some portion of the chlorine "in reserve", meaning you have a lower effective chlorine level. Thus you need to raise the FC level as the CYA level goes up, in order to keep the active chlorine level the same.

The SWG situation is a separate issue. SWGs don't need to run as much at higher CYA levels, so they last longer when CYA is high. At the same time, a SWG eliminates several of the side effects that make having a higher CYA level a pain. The net effect is that higher CYA levels work better with a SWG than they do when manually adding chlorine, so that is what we recommend doing.

......."As for the higher suggested levels it will be easier to maintain your pool if following the Pool Calculator simply due to the fact you are less likely to have and algae problems and more stability in your pool."

Amen to that. My SWG manufacturer (Hayward) recommends FC 1-3 (low in my opinion), and CYA of 60-80 (80 optimal). My pool is trouble free (imagine that) at FC of 4-6, CYA of 70-80, and my SWCG operating at 45%. I guess if one had alot of shade, few organics, and light bather load they could get away with those low FC and CYA numbers. With the amount of scorching sun and organics mine is exposed to, I'd have a mess trying to use those numbers. Follow the suggestions here. They work.

noaliasneeded said:
......."As for the higher suggested levels it will be easier to maintain your pool if following the Pool Calculator simply due to the fact you are less likely to have and algae problems and more stability in your pool."

Amen to that. My SWG manufacturer (Hayward) recommends FC 1-3 (low in my opinion), and CYA of 60-80 (80 optimal). My pool is trouble free (imagine that) at FC of 4-6, CYA of 70-80, and my SWCG operating at 45%. I guess if one had alot of shade, few organics, and light bather load they could get away with those low FC and CYA numbers. With the amount of scorching sun and organics mine is exposed to, I'd have a mess trying to use those numbers. Follow the suggestions here. They work.

Noaliasneeded, you got that right! Last year at this time I was at 75% on the generator! Now I'm at 45% and I'm probably going to have to turn it down to 40% soon! Holding FC so well that I maybe having a bleach sale soon....lol!

The people who recommend the lower FC levels also recommend clarifier, algaecide, phosphate remover, routine shocking etc.

For some reason they can't seem to figure out that if you need all of those things, then their recommended FC levels must be insufficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.