Unfilling a filled in pool

Jun 8, 2011
Split off of this topic. JasonLion

I was so excited to see this post. I too have never seen anything on "unfilling" a filled in pool. We also purchased a piece of property with a filled in pool. We had a 33ft round above ground at out last house and are pool people. We were thrilled to find this pool. We own a backhoe so my husband starting digging. We located the steps with a shovel and removed all the sand we could with the backhoe. We discovered that the deep end floor had been busted up and uncovered quite a bit of rebarb. We have a pool man coming today to look at it and give us his opinion. It is 16x32 oval, 4ft in the shallow end and 8 ft in the deep end. We found a company on the internet that makes retrofit liners to convert a concrete pool to a vinyl pool but we want to talk to the pool guy first. Do you have finished pics of yours?

Re: Newbie uncovering a filled-in pool

Good! On! You! We're DIY'ers too but I think your head is a teensy bit harder than ours!! Your kids must think their dad is THE BOMB! (mom too, for going along!).

I wanted to ask how you replaced the tile line at the top of the pool. Ours is starting to crumble away, and I was thinking it was going to be a major PITA until I saw your efforts. Can you tell me: 1--if you needed to build up or level the concrete behind the old tile 2--what size and type of tile you used 3--what type of mastic you used to set the tile 4-- what sort of grout 5--what sort of grout sealer (if any)

Many thanks, yaryar and mrs. yaryar

Re: Newbie uncovering a filled-in pool

We had a visit from the pool company yesterday. They told us how to drill holes around the bottom of the deep end (which was busted out) to accommodate new re barb for them to re-pour the floor and how to fill in and pack down a new bottom with sand-dirt. Doing the this part ourselves will save bundles of $$. They will pour next week. Cost of new floor 1500.00 plus re bard and rental of drill. They even have some pieces of vintage pool tile to match the few we have missing. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.