Can you maintain shock level with a swg?

buss

May 1, 2010
I came home from work to find a greenish pool with visible algae growing on the sides. When I was away my wife helped out by vacumning the pool. When she turned off the pump to remove the hose she left it off for three days. Anyway, I added 3 5l bottles of chlorine 10% and will vacumn to waste tomorrow. I also added some pucks to a floater and set the generator to 100%. Will I need to add more bottles over the next few days or will the pucks and swg be enough?
test prior to treatment
fc 1.0
tc 1.2
cc .2
ph 7.7
hardness 90
cyanuric 65
alkalinity 101
salt 2900

18300g kidney
haward pump cartridge filter and swg

An SWG can't produce enough chlorine fast enough to shock your pool, but the SWG can help you maintain shock level. Liquid chlorine/bleach is recommended for shock. See "How to shock your Pool" instructions in Pool School.

The amount of chlorine needed to complete the shock process depends on each case. You are done shocking when you meet three criteria. See red line in my sig.

anonapersona said:
Best to rely on outside sources to keep FC up, save your cell. I am shocking now with SWG off, need it off to pass overnight chloine loss test.

This is good advice. Save the wear on your SWCG cell and shock with pure bleach.

you should target cya of 80. a higher cya would have helped keep more chlorine in the pool even over those days when pump was off.

run your pump 24/7

yes shock your pool with liquid chlorine until its clear. no point in using pucks. let the swg work. and brush the algae will help the fc kill it.

I think it is easier to know what is happening if SWG is off. Calculate bleach to add, circulate, retest to confirm level then monitor FC drop over time and add bleach as required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.