Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you maintain shock level with a swg?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you maintain shock level with a swg?

I came home from work to find a greenish pool with visible algae growing on the sides. When I was away my wife helped out by vacumning the pool. When she turned off the pump to remove the hose she left it off for three days. Anyway, I added 3 5l bottles of chlorine 10% and will vacumn to waste tomorrow. I also added some pucks to a floater and set the generator to 100%. Will I need to add more bottles over the next few days or will the pucks and swg be enough?
    test prior to treatment
    fc 1.0
    tc 1.2
    cc .2
    ph 7.7
    hardness 90
    cyanuric 65
    alkalinity 101
    salt 2900

18300g kidney
    haward pump cartridge filter and swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you maintain shock level with a swg?

Best to rely on outside sources to keep FC up, save your cell. I am shocking now with SWG off, need it off to pass overnight chloine loss test.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

An SWG can't produce enough chlorine fast enough to shock your pool, but the SWG can help you maintain shock level. Liquid chlorine/bleach is recommended for shock. See "How to shock your Pool" instructions in Pool School.

The amount of chlorine needed to complete the shock process depends on each case. You are done shocking when you meet three criteria. See red line in my sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Best to rely on outside sources to keep FC up, save your cell. I am shocking now with SWG off, need it off to pass overnight chloine loss test.
    This is good advice. Save the wear on your SWCG cell and shock with pure bleach.

5. Back To Top    #5

you can, but such SWG will be unusable for normal day to day operations due to greatly larger output

properly sized SWG won't be able to achieve required levels

6. Back To Top    #6

Answer is no. Why would you tax your SWG when bleach will work better faster and cheaper.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

7. Back To Top    #7

you should target cya of 80. a higher cya would have helped keep more chlorine in the pool even over those days when pump was off.

run your pump 24/7

yes shock your pool with liquid chlorine until its clear. no point in using pucks. let the swg work. and brush the algae will help the fc kill it.

8. Back To Top    #8

I think it is easier to know what is happening if SWG is off. Calculate bleach to add, circulate, retest to confirm level then monitor FC drop over time and add bleach as required.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.