Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Debris in Sight Glass

1. Back To Top    #1

Debris in Sight Glass

I have owned my home for almost three years. This year I am trying to do the pool maintenance myself. I have a Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter & the rate is 20 GPM/FT2. For the past two years there has been sand in the sight glass. Now when I backwash I see debris such as bits of leaves, sand, and other things.

I have not changed the sand on this filter, and I do not know if the sand was ever changed before I bought the house.
    I brushed, vacuumed, and backwashed today. Should this be of concern to me?
    33,000 (20x40 3-8 ft), Hayward Sand Filter, vinyl, 1HP pump, Dolphin Deluxe 3

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Debris in Sight Glass

What you are seeing is normal for a sand filter. It is all of the junk that the filter has removed from the pool water and is now being removed from the filter during the backwash cycle. How much sand are you seeing? You shouldn't see much, if any, sand unless the filter has been overfilled with sand.

Regards,

Jay
    Jay

28,000 gal in-ground hybrid pool with PacFab Superflow 100 sand filter witn VitroClean media, Intelliflo VS pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Raypak R336A Millivolt Natural Gas Pool Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Get a few grains of sand myself on occassion. 2nd year on filter.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by griffths
    What you are seeing is normal for a sand filter. It is all of the junk that the filter has removed from the pool water and is now being removed from the filter during the backwash cycle. How much sand are you seeing? You shouldn't see much, if any, sand unless the filter has been overfilled with sand.

Regards,

Jay
    Great answer, Jay!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a few sand particles swirling around and settling on the bottom of the sight glass, but more debris lately. If this is normal then I feel much better.
    Thanks
    33,000 (20x40 3-8 ft), Hayward Sand Filter, vinyl, 1HP pump, Dolphin Deluxe 3