Intex Ultra 16' with Haywood Heater, Intex Sand Filter & SWG

divemasterphil

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 4, 2010
Fort Myers FL
OK, last year I had my pool on a sand pad over clay soil. By the end of the season the poles where sinking in and the pool was leaning. So, this year we have a 5" concrete pad poured in the same location and have the new Heater, Sand Filter and SWG all plumbed in and fully operational. I ended up running two jets and splitting the water before the heater. My pressure on the Sand Filter was high and it turned out that one Intex Jet was to restrictive.

It should be noted that you can't use the newer Sand Filter with the SWG if you have a Heater. The SWG needs to be in line after the Heater per Hayward's instructions

Attachments

• DSC_5297a.JPG
    DSC_5297a.JPG
    400.2 KB · Views: 4,748
  • DSC_5301a.JPG
    DSC_5301a.JPG
    362.4 KB · Views: 4,323
Re: Intex Ultra 16' with Haywood Heater, Intex Sand Filter &

More Pictures. I'm currently replacing most of the Intex hoses with PVC with the exception of the runs to the pool. I like the fact that they're flexible and my kid's and their friends can get the pool moving.

Attachments

• DSC_5298a.JPG
    DSC_5298a.JPG
    413.9 KB · Views: 4,240
  • DSC_5299a.JPG
    DSC_5299a.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 4,202

Here's some FYI stuff:

Pool season in Minnesota averages three months outdoors. June, July and August. Sometime into September. It cost me $105 per season to operate plus Natural Gas.

Salt cost around $5 a bag at Sam's Club. $20 a season.

Water just over $20 for 5,000 gallons. Running about $40 per season.

Electricty runs $0.12 per kilowatt. Running 6 hours a day, 7 days a week cost about $15 a month or $45 per season.

Pump runs at 550 watts
SWG runs at 100 watts
Heater pulls 100 watts
LED Light 5 watts

Natural Gas Cost $1.35 per Therm or 100,000 btu. If it runs 6 hours a day it would run $243 a month. In 6 hours the pool would be in the 90's. On day two it would be pushing 100. So, with a Solar blanket it doesn't take much Natural Gas. For propane user the heater can consume a 5 gallon tank in 4-5 hours of use.

Pool looks awesome :cool:.I see that since your original pictures that you have added a through the wall skimmer, this is #1 on my wish list :lol: Do you have any tips? In particular;

1. Did you mount the skimmer as high as you coul without straddling the seam at the top? It appears on my pool that I would have to mount a little lower than ideal height because of that seam!

2. Did you select any particular skimmer because of its design? Am a little worried about the weight of skimmer and water pulling on the wall attachment point.

3. Did you consider a widemouth skimmer? Did factors in 2 above affect that decision? It appears that a widemouth skimmer stands off further from the wall and has more weight and leverage to pull down against the attachment point?

4. How do you get the courage to plunge the knife through the liner for the first time :shock:

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer :cheers:

Keep cool

gasczar said:
Pool looks awesome :cool:.I see that since your original pictures that you have added a through the wall skimmer, this is #1 on my wish list :lol: Do you have any tips? In particular;

1. Did you mount the skimmer as high as you coul without straddling the seam at the top? It appears on my pool that I would have to mount a little lower than ideal height because of that seam!

Yes, if you go over the seam you may get some leakage or weaken the liner

2. Did you select any particular skimmer because of its design? Am a little worried about the weight of skimmer and water pulling on the wall attachment point.

Hayward was the top choose. You could run a piece of PVC between to of the vertical pool supports to give some support. It's pretty solid without it.

3. Did you consider a widemouth skimmer? Did factors in 2 above affect that decision? It appears that a widemouth skimmer stands off further from the wall and has more weight and leverage to pull down against the attachment point?

I thought the wide mouth was too wide for my 16' pool.

4. How do you get the courage to plunge the knife through the liner for the first time :shock:

I mounted the skimmer without cutting the hole. I put it in place and used a nail to punch a hole for first screw (top right). Then did another on the opposite side (top left) then the rest followed, each screw sealed its own hole. Once secure and plumbing attached I cut the opening before installing the door. I had next to no water loss during the process and didn't drain down the pool at all. I now run the water level two-three squares down.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer :cheers:

Keep cool

Great idea how you added the skimmer. We are a little worried about cutting into the liner. DH refuses to do it! lol

Isca said:
Great idea how you added the skimmer. We are a little worried about cutting into the liner. DH refuses to do it! lol

I'm a little nervous about it too, but I've been researching it for weeks. Alot of people are doing it and it seems to make a huge difference. I think that I am going with the Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim (on Amazon for $39). Fromt what I have read, don't mount it too high close to the liner seam. And... many people mount it to the liner and make their connections prior to cutting. Than they just cut around the opening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Nice little heater and install. I have the same heater on my 18' and love it.

Some FYI for you on these units. It seems that as things get made "cheaper and cheaper" quality suffers a bit. A few years ago I had the problem of mine not wanting to stay running. At the same time a customer of mine called with the same problem. They were going to be out of town for a couple of weeks so getting theirs fixed was no big hurry. However mine was (wife). The symptom was it would start and run for about a min then shut down and not restart until the thermo was reset. Opened the top and could not replicate the problem. Put the top back on and it would act up again. Traced the problem to the board. Thinking it was bad I looked up the price...Wow. The next day I was talking to the electrical engineer at work and he asked to see it thinking it may just be a bad relay. I was looking up the numbers while he was looking at it.He quickly found the problem. All of the connections for the plug socket to the board had cracks in the solder around the pins. It literally took longer to heat up the iron than it did to fix the problem. The next day I went to my customers house and found his to be the same way. 10 min later I had his working as well. All in all over the last 4 years I have fixed about 20 of these. The good news is that recently I have not had to fix any. It seems they have fixed the problem

I cut may hayward skimmer as high as possible and couldnt be happier.

pool.jpg

Reactions: FunDip4Me

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site and this is my first post. My new bride (11MAR :)) and I just bought a 16' INTEX pool. We are in the process of leveling the ground. We are doing it by hand so we both are exhausted. But I'm happy that it is going to be done correctly.

In place of the filter that came with the pool we decided to purchase the 14" sand filter with saltwater system. We also want to add a heater like the above system. My question is, has the saltwater corroded the heater components at all? Thank you in advance for your help.

Welcome to the site and I must appologize for nobody responding yet, although on these "reference" threads, I am not really to suprised.

The amount of salt for a saltwater chlorine generator is very small. Yes, it seems like alot but it is much, much less than the salt concentration in the ocean. Keeping your chemical levels proper is the key to keeping your equipment not only operating at it's best, but will also keep it going for as long as possible. I am actually one of the few people that have an electric pool heater (insulation is the key). So far two seasons, absolutely, positively no problems.

If you have natural gas close, I recommend that first, then heat pump, the resistive heat last. All that said, if you insulate your floor, your walls, and cut insulation to float on the water when not in use, your heating cost will be minimal.

Welcome,

Bob E.

Do you feel that the heater that you installed in the pictures runs a lot. Do think the water loses it's heat thru the thin liner. Looking to do the same thing.

Since this is such an old post, you might PM the OP with the heater to ask. Often members post and don't come back much.

However, I can tell you from experience that any pool constructed this way will lose a lot of heat very rapidly. There's just no way around it unfortunately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.