Replacement salt cell

Jun 24, 2011
I have an IC40 now, it is dead after 2 seasons, less than 4,000 hrs and out of warranty, and it is the 4th cell I have had, ( 3 were warranty). Is Pentair a good product, I do not want to spend any money for a replacement cell if they have a history of not being long lived.
My next question is: my pool is an inground, vinyl liner, 22,000 gallons with the IC40, with the capacity of the IC20 at 20,000 gallons, could I replace the IC40 with the IC20 and be ok with output?, would save about $100 in cost for the replacement cell.

The IC's have a good reputation and we haven't heard of a lot of problems with them. I wouldn't recommend getting anything smaller than you have now. How did it fail? Are the plates worn off?

There could possibly be an issue with your chem balance. If you'll post a set of test results and how you got them, we may be able to tell if there's something contributing to it.

water test good, chlorine and ph are within balance, salt level good, the cell started the green light blinking about a week ago, which says to either clean or service, I cleaned with acid, plates are clean, no deposits at all. I noticed the blinking would stop temporarily if I swithed the breaker on and off, it woud work for a few hours, this worked for 4 days, then finally it went out, no green light, the red light is on, the only thing to be done is service, which I take to mean, replace, as it does not need cleaning

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.