Pool Cleaners

Jun 24, 2011
I am resurfacing my pool with pebble sheen and converting to salt. I would like advice on the best cleaner on the market today. I had a navigator, Hayward I think, for 15 years and must have rebuilt it 5 times. What the best and most reliable out there today?

What the best and most reliable out there today?
Welcome to the forum :lol:
It's like asking what's the best car? However, some general guidelines are that you pay for cleaning power. The more expensive cleaners will tend to clean faster and better and, as such, will be used in larger pools. There is an article in Pool School.

I guess I am of the opinion that suction cleaners are the best, but I have plenty to learn. 15 years ago I was advised the navigator was the best out there and I must say it worked well even considering the 5 overhauls. It is like duraleigh implied, there are a lot of opinions, but I cannot lose here. I pick one of the top 2-3 suggestions and I am much further along than listening to the guy that wants to sell it to me. Thank you for your response!

I'll second the PoolCleaner for its cleaning ability, I've not had it long enough to comment on its durability. I recently, purchased a PoolCleaner 4x suction. I have a booster, but went with the suction side cleaner because most of the stuff I get in the pool is tiny stuff, dust, dirt, sand and tiny "leaves" from a bunch of cedar trees in my yard. I've had it for a month and it works like a champ. It takes about 2 hours or so to clean my pool, unless the pool is really dirty (say after a bad storm).

I was surprised by how much suction it needed. I have a 1hp pump, with 2 skimmers and a main drain. I have to close the drain, and dramatically reduce the other skimmer to get enough suction to it.

I know zodiac came out with one recently (Zodiac Barracuda MX8) that seems to have caught alot of ppl's attention and claims to work as well of not better than the pool cleaner. There is a thread on this forum for it http://www.troublefreepool.com/the-zodiac-barracuda-mx8-suction-side-cleaner-t31224.html.

I ultimately passed on it for 2 reasons. First, its new, this is its first season. Normally that's not enough to dissuade me which leads me to the second reason. The cleaner is says its for all pool surfaces, but the manual has a strong disclaimer/notice regarding damage to vinyl liner pools. (Here's a link to the manual from poolplaza http://www.poolplaza.com/manuals/Zodiac-Baracuda-MX8-Owners-Manual.pdf) I have a vinyl liner and didn't want to take any chances. Also I know there are a number of folks on this forum that use the PoolCleaner and have a vinyl liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.