Jun 17, 2011
current readings:

fc: 7
cc: 0
ph: 7.5
ta: 110
ch: 230
cya: 60

migrating to bbb since i found pool school and this excellent forum. however, i still have a supply of cal-hypo (68%) which i sometimes use to chlorinate instead of bleach since my CH numbers are on the low side. i've noticed that it seems to cloud the water a bit, especially in larger quantities. just wondering if this is *always* expected w/cal-hypo.

My pool starts to cloud when the pH goes over 7.8. My TA, CH and CYA are all pretty much the same as yours.

The cal hypo looks a little cloudy when it first goes in, but clears very quickly as long as the pH is in range.

duraleigh said:
pre-dissolve the cal-hypo in a 5 gallon bucket and pour the slurry slowly into the skimmer. That usually prevents any clouding.

Dave,

Is it ok to pour into a skimmer? i have some cal-hypo that i want to use up and it doesn't seem that it dissolves in the bucket entirely and there are lots of granules left behind. i have a DE filter and i think all of them will end up there. they will probable dissolve there though ...

i remember one of the other people on the boards saying don't pour cal hypo in your skimmer if you're likely to have stabiliser dissolving on your filter. make sure you've done at least one backwash since adding stabiliser. it sounded like good advice to me.

Not that I recommend this but I have added cal hypo through the skimmer then dumped 8 pounds of stab into the skimmer. the basket gets filled but the water can still pass through, also some pumps can handle their baskets getting filled with stab while others will stop pumping. Most chemicals can be poured into the skimmer safely with the exception of a few like acid or soda ash (it can turn hard like a brick)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.