Alge Problem

Jun 15, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have a 24 foot AG with an Aquatrol SWG. The water has been crystal clear and the generator is reading 3300 ppm. I test the water on a daily basis for TA, PH, CYA and FC, the test are within the normal range. I began to notice some brown lines around the bottom of the pool, which I was sure was dirt from the kids going in and out of pool. I've been vacuuming the pool every morning for the past week and the same brown lines keep appearing. I've come to the conclusion that these brown lines are Alge since they keep coming back. I took water sample to Leslies pool and these were the results..

FAC - 4
TAC - 4
PH - 7.4
TA - 90
CYA - 30
Calcium - 40
Phosphates - 2500

The guy at the pool said that the alge was reappearing because of the high phosphate levels. Can anyone help me with this. Thank you.

What test kit are you using?
Also post a set of your own test results.

Phosphates is the new problem invented by the pool stores to remove more green from your wallet than from your pool. Don't worry about it.

Your CYA is very low for an swg. It needs to be about 70 ppm.
What percentage are you running the swg on and how many hours a day are you running it?

What does the brown stuff feel like if you pick some up?

As of now I'm only using a test strip I'm waiting for TF-100 to arrive to get a more accurate reading. My SWG is running 12 hours a day and the percentage is at 40% which keeps the reading between 3200 and 3300. The pool store suggested I buy phosphate free which cost $41, this didn't seem reasonable. I have not felt the brown stuff yet, when I vacum it, it just comes off easily not like green alge which you have to scrub. This is what kept me from thinking it was alge.

Ok, the only issue is that it keeps coming up even if we dont use the pool the day before. Its all over the bottom of it... I will try to take a picture of it and post. I will keep vacuuming and try to pick some of it up.

ok,, thank you for your help .. once i get the test kit I will post the test results. I will get the CYA up and go from there. To shock do you suggest a bag of shock or use the super chlorinate option on the SWG.

Hello everyone,

Just received the TF-100 test kit, I have to say i'm impressed on how complete the kit is. I regret not getting the magnetic stirrer. Well these are my results.

FC-10.5
CC-0
TC-10.5
PH-7.5
TA-100
CH-50
CYA-90

I'm still getting the same growth of what appears to be a brown alge in the bottom. I noticed when I vacum and brush that it just moves as dirt in water. Thank you in advanced to everyone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Funny you mentioned dead algae, I was going to mention that since thats what it looks like. Didn't think it was since I haven't seen any sign of live algae. So follow the instructions on how to do the overnight loss test and then go from there. Just curious on whats causing this...

Good morning,,

Did the overnight FC Loss test and the results were as follow:

FC reading before was 10.5 after was 8.5. Does this mean that there is live algae in the pool . I saw the same brown areas in the pool but not as many as before. Thank you again in advanced for any help...

A loss of 2 ppm means there's algae growing in the pool and consumming FC. You need to raise the FC to shock level and keep it there till you've passed the OCLT. Since you've been keeping the FC up it's not as bad as it could be.

hello again,,

I must be a complete idiot because I cant figure out how much chlorine I need to add to my pool. My CYA is 80 and FC is 10. I look at the chart and still cant figure out the amount of liquid chlorine i must add. Do I add a specific amount or do I add little bit at a time,?

The CYA chart tells you the concentration, ppm, of chlorine you need. Go to the Pool Calculator enter pool size then current FC, then target FC from CYA chart. Select bleach and strength, read result.
Spend some time with that Calculator, it will be your best friend.Ooo

fajoza45 said:
hello again,,

I must be a complete idiot because I cant figure out how much chlorine I need to add to my pool. My CYA is 80 and FC is 10. I look at the chart and still cant figure out the amount of liquid chlorine i must add. Do I add a specific amount or do I add little bit at a time,?
We'll help you figure it out.

Go to http://www.PoolCalculator.Com and use it to compute your doses each time for any chemical.

First add the pool size in gallons in top left corner.

Then do FC. In the NOW column enter what your FC level is NOW, which is 10, and in the TARGET column enter your shock level FC , which is 31, based on the CYA/Chlorine chart in Pool School.

If you tell us the # of gallons in your pool, we can confirm your calculations with you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.