Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP fact or fiction? Just curious.

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP fact or fiction? Just curious.

When I was young, my mother would never let us make a 'whirlpool' in the above ground pool in her yard. She said the pressure would basically make the pool 'explode' for lack of a better word.

Last night, I had 8 teens in the pool having a blast making a pretty substantial 'whirlpool' in my 27' AGP. I was smiling as I watched them... but in the back of my mind, my mothers words starting ringing loudly in my brain. It was all I could do to not utter those same words to the kids.

Is there any truth to my mother's warning or is she just a killjoy? On the bright side, my steps were moving during this 'whirlpool', so I know there was some good water flow through them for probably the first time ever.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP fact or fiction? Just curious.

This could be serious! Were they making clock............ or counter-clockwise circles?????????? I don't know if that makes any difference being in the northern hemisphere or not. I.E. I don't think it makes any difference!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Killjoy
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely counter-clockwise... those non-conformist teens!

Killjoy, eh... I suspected as much.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

If they spin yours opposite of what our GK's spin ours, things will balance out and it won't be a problem.

Seriously, it was probably something she was told and was concerned. You're not going to hurt anything by whirlpooling it as fast as you can go. Whirlpooling won't put near as much pressure on the wall as a big ole cannonball will.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

You've got what, something like 80' of rolled solid corrugated steel that is is connected together with what, 30 bolts or something like that.
    That steel ring is going to withstand a lot of pressure.
    Most people incorrectly assume that the uprights are holding all the water in, that's not true. The uprights are for primarily for top rail support.
    There's one major pool manufacturer that has a video showing a backhoe using it's bucket slamming into the water, and that's with an oval pool which has un-proportionate stress on the sides.

I wonder what the rate of actual AGP "explosion" is, I'm thinking very very low, and even then I'd like to know if defective installation was the factor. I'd wager that the most AGP pool failure starts with something becoming out of level (for whatever reason) leading to the water finding a way to leak out.

PS: I agree with Bama, my first swim in my pool was a huge cannonball and when I came up I couldn't believe the waves it made, put water right over the sides, I'm thinking the round shape magnified it. And the pool withstood it.....and I was VERY relieved.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

7. Back To Top    #7

If true, my little pool would have blown up a long time ago. I love how it gets debris to the center for easier vacuuming.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

The only time I have seen an AGP explode was on Funny Home Videos bc simeone drove a lawn mower into the side or something
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thinking it is fiction. We have a tradition at my sister's house. We aren't done swimming until we made a whirlpool and then swim in reverse! The kids love it. Her pool has stood over eleven years of doing it and it is way out of level...still standing. Plus it is and oval. If any pool was going to give out, I would think hers would!

Hope the kids had fun! We can't wait to do it in ours!
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.