LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, First Set of Test Results after adding bleach and weaning off Chlorinator (It is still there).

TF-100

7:00 PM thurs night
FC 7.5 14 to 15 drops 15 drops perf clear,
Combined 0 had a slight tinge of pink, only when I looked straight down, do I count that, looking horizontal it is clear
Alk 110? 10 turned solution solid pink 11 solid red, what do I count?
PH 7.5

I know my CYA is still around 100, been working that which is why I took my Free Chlorine from 3 to 7.5 with bleach. I think I actually need to adjust a little, I did not add bleach yesterday at all so I guess the CYA is holding me back a little.

I retested Chlorine at 9:00 am 15 drops perf clear, so I held overnight

Now My colroq which I tried to return which is another story, I guess it can't handle higher Chlorine, it is usually right on with Pool store but it read 4.99 FCL and 5.01 TCL

4.99 to 7.5 for TF100 is a big diff, believing the TF-100 but concerned about this 'gap'

Now for TF-100 I just got it last week and the R-0003 was really crusty when I opened it, around the top, is that normal?

BTW, I noticed 'sparkle' to my already clear pool, my wife also noticed it without me saying anything, I wonder if the bleach is adding the sparkle?

First off trust the TF-100 results.

When you add the R-0003 for the CC test if it's pink at all then add a drop of R-0871 and if it changes at all count it as .5 (even though it's probably much less).

On the TA test (and all the others) drop until it quits changing color and then don't count the last drop. Your's would be 110.

The sparkle is from having all the chems in proper balance. :goodjob:

I am really impressed, Last night with the light on I could see every detail of liner print, ladder, if there was not a shadow from the light/refraction you would not even know it was water. I really hope I feel this way after taking a week vacation. But I'll tell you I forgot how blue my liner was.

Now off to Walmart to find more bleach and hopefully borax, heard that also kills ants.

Thanks

Mine gets so clear on a good day that when I walk out in the morning and see the reflection of the Carolina jasmines on the back fence I catch myself going...."Oh no!..Algae!"

Re: Test Results New to BBB FC holding

Ok, I tested FC tonight and I am still at 7.5 with drop kit. Is that unusual? It was a mix of sun/rain/clouds in the 80's today. My CC is roughly 1 drop slight tinge of pink if I look really hard, new to this BBB I smell a hint of 'bleach' or at least I think I do, is that normal? I just got out and water feels awesome. Now I am thinking to add a few bags of salt.

I only tested Free and combined tonight, other #'s posted earlier

Re: Test Results New to BBB FC holding

rjg202 said:
Ok, I tested FC tonight and I am still at 7.5 with drop kit. Is that unusual? It was a mix of sun/rain/clouds in the 80's today. My CC is roughly 1 drop slight tinge of pink if I look really hard, new to this BBB I smell a hint of 'bleach' or at least I think I do, is that normal? I just got out and water feels awesome. Now I am thinking to add a few bags of salt.

I only tested Free and combined tonight, other #'s posted earlier
I don't usually get that public pool smell when I'm by the pool, but sometimes I can smell it on myself afterwards. 'course I tend to jump in when I'm all hot and sweaty, like after mowing the lawn, so I am forming CC.

If one drop of R-0871 clears the CC sample, you're fine.

Re: Test Results No longer New to BBB High CYA

Let me try this again, My CYA is still running high, I figure between hurricanes, closing, broken hoses I drained 30% or more of my pool. Last Summer CYA floated around 100.

After opening my CYA according to TF-100 was 100 or so so I took the sample to the pool store, keep in mind this is after filtering for 1/2 day and adding no chemicals to a clear blue sparkling pool with a little green dust on the bottom that Rover took care of
Pool Store Results

FC .3
TC .3
CC 0
PH 7.6
Hardness 170
Alk 120
CYA 95
Phosphate 300

My numbers were close. So I shocked with a gallon of 12.5% and ran my own tests tonight
FC 6.5
CC 0
PH about 7.8 to 7.6
Alk 120

I did not run hardness

So maybe I am getting better or the store got calibrated, because our numbers are close.

Anyway I am at a loss with dumping so much water and using 12.5% or 6% why my CYA stays high which requires me to run a higher level of Chlorine. Tonight I dumped 96oz of 6% because I want to run it a little higher and we are due for rains. The water is about 70 degrees in full sun. I can't keep pumping and refilling it costs a fortune. At one point I believe my CYA was 110 or so, so it did come down, but I really thought it would decline more with all the water dumped and refilled. Maybe I should test my drinking water for CYA? Any suggestions what could be causing this, I have no pucks in my feeder, only for the week I was away last year and the pump only ran 3 days because of the broken hose.

The CYA test is wildly imprecise at levels over 90. Just about CYA level over 100 can read as if it was about 100. You can do the CYA test with dilution, mix equal parts of pool water and tap water, do the test on that, and then multiply the result by two, to get a rough idea of what CYA levels over 90 really are, though even that is not very precise.

My guess is that your CYA level started out way over 100, and has been coming down steadily as you replaced water, but is still at or above 100.

I can't keep pumping and refilling it costs a fortune. At one point I believe my CYA was 110 or so, so it did come down, but I really thought it would decline more with all the water dumped and refilled.

Like Jason said, my CYA level was up in the 150 or so range as well and I had to pump out and refill which seemed like my whole pool to get it to 40-50 where it is now.Once I was able to read in the 80-90 range pretty confidently (which took FOREVER) it was ANOTHER heavy duty amount to drain and BAM it tested in the 40-50 range...just keep doing what youve learned here at TFP and you'll be good to go before ya know it :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Test Results No Longer New to BBB TA went up

Ok, so now I am confused.

My TA went from a pool store 120 to 150, I just added Bleach 4 oz of calcium stuff that took me up 10 ppm, and 2 oz of Phosphate control since I was around 400. What would cause this to rise, rain?

I have my aqualuminator at a 45 degree downward angle. Pool Calculator says to reduce PH to 7.0 to 7.2 I am 7.8. Can I or should Iuse the PH Minus? I have EZ-Chlor that they gave me with the pool

PH 7.8 maybe a little lower
Chlorine 10
cc 0
TA 150
CH 180, tested twice I assume blue is violet.

cya just shy of 100, I will test again mixing with tap water to get a more accurate # or estimate.

Should I not really mess with it? I read adjusting alkalinity but that says to aerate which I can do by either breaking the surface or using my fountain attachment.

Maybe I should test my drinking water for CYA?
No, I am sure you understand that there is no CYA in any water....unless it is added!

Don't be confused. Stay out of the pool stores for your testing and trust your own testing with the TF100!

Yes, you should lower the CYA to a managable number using water replacement or RO treatment.

I suggest you leave the TA alone...... at least for now.

Keep your pH adjusted to around 7.4ish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.