Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Results New to BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Results New to BBB

Ok, First Set of Test Results after adding bleach and weaning off Chlorinator (It is still there).

TF-100

7:00 PM thurs night
    FC 7.5 14 to 15 drops 15 drops perf clear,
    Combined 0 had a slight tinge of pink, only when I looked straight down, do I count that, looking horizontal it is clear
    Alk 110? 10 turned solution solid pink 11 solid red, what do I count?
    PH 7.5

I know my CYA is still around 100, been working that which is why I took my Free Chlorine from 3 to 7.5 with bleach. I think I actually need to adjust a little, I did not add bleach yesterday at all so I guess the CYA is holding me back a little.

I retested Chlorine at 9:00 am 15 drops perf clear, so I held overnight

Now My colroq which I tried to return which is another story, I guess it can't handle higher Chlorine, it is usually right on with Pool store but it read 4.99 FCL and 5.01 TCL

4.99 to 7.5 for TF100 is a big diff, believing the TF-100 but concerned about this 'gap'

Now for TF-100 I just got it last week and the R-0003 was really crusty when I opened it, around the top, is that normal?

BTW, I noticed 'sparkle' to my already clear pool, my wife also noticed it without me saying anything, I wonder if the bleach is adding the sparkle?
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Results New to BBB

First off trust the TF-100 results.

When you add the R-0003 for the CC test if it's pink at all then add a drop of R-0871 and if it changes at all count it as .5 (even though it's probably much less).

On the TA test (and all the others) drop until it quits changing color and then don't count the last drop. Your's would be 110.

The sparkle is from having all the chems in proper balance.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I am really impressed, Last night with the light on I could see every detail of liner print, ladder, if there was not a shadow from the light/refraction you would not even know it was water. I really hope I feel this way after taking a week vacation. But I'll tell you I forgot how blue my liner was.

Now off to Walmart to find more bleach and hopefully borax, heard that also kills ants.

Thanks
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine gets so clear on a good day that when I walk out in the morning and see the reflection of the Carolina jasmines on the back fence I catch myself going...."Oh no!..Algae!"
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

RJG202,

Please check your PM's
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Test Results New to BBB FC holding

Ok, I tested FC tonight and I am still at 7.5 with drop kit. Is that unusual? It was a mix of sun/rain/clouds in the 80's today. My CC is roughly 1 drop slight tinge of pink if I look really hard, new to this BBB I smell a hint of 'bleach' or at least I think I do, is that normal? I just got out and water feels awesome. Now I am thinking to add a few bags of salt.

I only tested Free and combined tonight, other #'s posted earlier

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Test Results New to BBB FC holding

Quote Originally Posted by rjg202
    Ok, I tested FC tonight and I am still at 7.5 with drop kit. Is that unusual? It was a mix of sun/rain/clouds in the 80's today. My CC is roughly 1 drop slight tinge of pink if I look really hard, new to this BBB I smell a hint of 'bleach' or at least I think I do, is that normal? I just got out and water feels awesome. Now I am thinking to add a few bags of salt.

I only tested Free and combined tonight, other #'s posted earlier
    I don't usually get that public pool smell when I'm by the pool, but sometimes I can smell it on myself afterwards. 'course I tend to jump in when I'm all hot and sweaty, like after mowing the lawn, so I am forming CC.

If one drop of R-0871 clears the CC sample, you're fine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: Test Results No longer New to BBB High CYA

Let me try this again, My CYA is still running high, I figure between hurricanes, closing, broken hoses I drained 30% or more of my pool. Last Summer CYA floated around 100.

After opening my CYA according to TF-100 was 100 or so so I took the sample to the pool store, keep in mind this is after filtering for 1/2 day and adding no chemicals to a clear blue sparkling pool with a little green dust on the bottom that Rover took care of
    Pool Store Results

FC .3
    TC .3
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    Hardness 170
    Alk 120
    CYA 95
    Phosphate 300

My numbers were close. So I shocked with a gallon of 12.5% and ran my own tests tonight
    FC 6.5
    CC 0
    PH about 7.8 to 7.6
    Alk 120

I did not run hardness

So maybe I am getting better or the store got calibrated, because our numbers are close.

Anyway I am at a loss with dumping so much water and using 12.5% or 6% why my CYA stays high which requires me to run a higher level of Chlorine. Tonight I dumped 96oz of 6% because I want to run it a little higher and we are due for rains. The water is about 70 degrees in full sun. I can't keep pumping and refilling it costs a fortune. At one point I believe my CYA was 110 or so, so it did come down, but I really thought it would decline more with all the water dumped and refilled. Maybe I should test my drinking water for CYA? Any suggestions what could be causing this, I have no pucks in my feeder, only for the week I was away last year and the pump only ran 3 days because of the broken hose.

9. Back To Top    #9

The CYA test is wildly imprecise at levels over 90. Just about CYA level over 100 can read as if it was about 100. You can do the CYA test with dilution, mix equal parts of pool water and tap water, do the test on that, and then multiply the result by two, to get a rough idea of what CYA levels over 90 really are, though even that is not very precise.

My guess is that your CYA level started out way over 100, and has been coming down steadily as you replaced water, but is still at or above 100.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I can't keep pumping and refilling it costs a fortune. At one point I believe my CYA was 110 or so, so it did come down, but I really thought it would decline more with all the water dumped and refilled.
    Like Jason said, my CYA level was up in the 150 or so range as well and I had to pump out and refill which seemed like my whole pool to get it to 40-50 where it is now.Once I was able to read in the 80-90 range pretty confidently (which took FOREVER) it was ANOTHER heavy duty amount to drain and BAM it tested in the 40-50 range...just keep doing what youve learned here at TFP and you'll be good to go before ya know it
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Test Results No Longer New to BBB TA went up

Ok, so now I am confused.

My TA went from a pool store 120 to 150, I just added Bleach 4 oz of calcium stuff that took me up 10 ppm, and 2 oz of Phosphate control since I was around 400. What would cause this to rise, rain?

I have my aqualuminator at a 45 degree downward angle. Pool Calculator says to reduce PH to 7.0 to 7.2 I am 7.8. Can I or should Iuse the PH Minus? I have EZ-Chlor that they gave me with the pool

PH 7.8 maybe a little lower
    Chlorine 10
    cc 0
    TA 150
    CH 180, tested twice I assume blue is violet.

cya just shy of 100, I will test again mixing with tap water to get a more accurate # or estimate.

Should I not really mess with it? I read adjusting alkalinity but that says to aerate which I can do by either breaking the surface or using my fountain attachment.

12. Back To Top    #12

I had a high CYA number starting off last year and ended up having to do 2/50% water changes to get my CYA down to a manageable level....you might want to consider changing 25-50% of your water to get that number closer to 50.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

13. Back To Top    #13

I'll have to do it when the wife is not around, Can't do it before the holiday weekend, she would not be happy.

14. Back To Top    #14

Maybe I should test my drinking water for CYA?
    No, I am sure you understand that there is no CYA in any water....unless it is added!

Don't be confused. Stay out of the pool stores for your testing and trust your own testing with the TF100!

Yes, you should lower the CYA to a managable number using water replacement or RO treatment.

I suggest you leave the TA alone...... at least for now.

Keep your pH adjusted to around 7.4ish.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!