Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA at 80?

1. Back To Top    #1

Central NJ

CYA at 80?

I presently have my cya at 50, but last year (first year with a pool) it was at 80 when I opened it. When it was at 80, I was adding about 0.5 jug a day, now I'm adding about a jug a day. We only use the pool during the weekends, so most of my chlorine is lost due to the sun, should I raise my cya to 80 again? Any downside to 80 cya?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: CYA at 80?

The only downside is when you develop a problem and have to shock it requires more amounts of chlorine. If you are diligent about testing and staying above your FC min, and you were happier before, then go for it. Some extremely sunny locations do benefit from a higher CYA.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: CYA at 80?

I'd probably raise it a little at a time and see what works. You may find that going from 50 to 60 has the desired result.

I know with my pool going from 50 to 60 makes a good bit of difference.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit