Filter PSI never rises past 13

Apr 18, 2010
Hello all
We have a new (last spring) ig gunnite pool with a de filter.
Is this normal that the psi always is 12-13?
Water is perfectly balanced and pool is clear.
Because it never rises I just backwash about every 3-4 weeks or so.
Thanks

Pretty sure I've read on here that it is still a good idea to at least do what a call a "mini-backwash" on occassion just to keep the sand from channeling--------whatever that is!

Pretty sure I've read on here that it is still a good idea to at least do what a call a "mini-backwash" on occassion just to keep the sand from channeling--------whatever that is!
On it's face, that would seem to make sense but, as nearly as I remember, there has been only one reported case of channeling that truly existed since this forum has been in operation. Even if there's a few more, I don't think channeling deserves the credit we give it on the forum.

What SHOULD get more attention is that at startup, the filter should be opened up and the sand bed cleaned and "re-fluffed" and inspected. That would probably eliminate any channeling, reduce your chlorine consumption, and be an overall healthy step in pool maintenance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.