Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex pump flow issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex pump flow issues

Hey all,

I have been having a problem over the last couple of weeks with flow. I currently have a Krystal Clear Filter Pump 637R and Krystal Clear SWG CS8110. It started out that we had to change our first filter after about 10 days as we could not clean it enough to get flow. The next filter worked well for about 5 days and then same thing. I used a generic A filter last night and by this morning I was getting low flow again.

Each of the filters have come out with a dark coloring in the filter after only a day and again cleaning them only works so well.

So I know that the pump we are using is really not the best as far as overall flow and efficiency however I had hoped it would last at least one year before we had to replace for a larger pump.

Over all the poll numbers have been good and the water is clear but for some reason the filter gets funky quick.

So do I get a bigger pump? or is there something I can do with the filters/pump so they don't clog so quickly?
    INTEX 14 ft Round x 42 in Deep, Krystal Clear Filter Pump 637R, Krystal Clear SWG CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex pump flow issues

I don't think it's a pump problem. Sounds like you have something going on in the pool. Can you provide us with a full set of test results and how you got them?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I will get some when I get home from work but here is my last set.

FC 2.5
    CC 0
    TC 2.5
    PH 7.5
    T/A 130
    CH 400
    CYA 70

At the time I added the recommended Clorox and Acid. I know the FC/CC/TC is a little low from this test and when I test tonight I expect it to be low again. We got a lot of rain this week (at least for us it was alot because it hadn't rained here in like 6 months) and because of the pump not flowing the SWG has not been running like we usually run it.

Test Kit is a TF-100
    INTEX 14 ft Round x 42 in Deep, Krystal Clear Filter Pump 637R, Krystal Clear SWG CS8110

4. Back To Top    #4

You got a good test kit there!

You're right, your FC is low for your CYA. You need to keep that up.

My first step would be to run an OCLT to see if there's anything going on in the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

There are a couple other places that tend to get obstructed. There is a little wire strainer where the water flows into the SWG. Unscrew the large plastic nut to get to it. Just hose it off. Also, where the hose from the pool enters the pump is another place that tends to get blocked.
    18'x48" Intex metal frame pool, 1600 Intex sand filer/pump combo, Intex SWCG.

6. Back To Top    #6

I found the problem. It was clogged at the strainer at the pool lining. After the skimmer but before the pump. I should have known as I had to clean that once before but I didn't. I just happen to think about it today after I messed with the pump a bit and bam there it was. A big wad of hair and other ****. Didn't look like a lot but was taking about 1/3rd of my flow at least.

I need to drain some water and then test but at least my issue is solved. Live and Learn!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Etouffee
    I found the problem. It was clogged at the strainer at the pool lining. After the skimmer but before the pump. I should have known as I had to clean that once before but I didn't. I just happen to think about it today after I messed with the pump a bit and bam there it was. A big wad of hair and other ****. Didn't look like a lot but was taking about 1/3rd of my flow at least.

I need to drain some water and then test but at least my issue is solved. Live and Learn!
    This exact problem is extremely common. Some else just had this the other day. The older Intex didnt have this feature, but I think they do it for liability reasons. In any event, I took the grids out of mine with a dremel. I let the pump stainer take care of that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the same issue and hate when the stuff floats up from that. Was wondering if I could soak cheesecloth in beeswax and form it inside the skimmer basket. Would that harm anything? Could it help to get the little stuff?
    AGP, POPUP, 3800GAL. SWG 2000 GPH pump. Over the wall skimmer. SE TX. NEWBIE

9. Back To Top    #9

I found the problem. It was clogged at the strainer at the pool lining.

Thank you! We just vacuumed our pool for the first time this morning and have been stumped about our flow issues all morning. It didn't occur to us to look inside the pool.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.