Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TDS meters to measure salt.

1. Back To Top    #1

TDS meters to measure salt.

A respected person in the aquarium trade told me you can measure salt with a tds meter for a pool, and that my refractometer is too hard to read accurately the small amt of salt we use in out pools since seawater is 35000ppm. I just have problems with test strips, Never liked them for aquariums so it carries over to my pool.

What are your thoughts on this?
    26x16 rockwood keyhole vynil inground, waterway cartridge filter and swg, variable speed pentair pump, extra large skimmer with 2 main drains in deep end and 2 returns,Rheem raypack 206 natural gas heater, hayward tigershark qc robot. Being installed in late may early june. Woot!

2. Back To Top    #2

Brisbane, Australia

Re: TDS meters to measure salt.

you can but it's expensive and needs to be calibrated regularly

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: TDS meters to measure salt.

You could use the Taylor K-1766 drop based kit to measure it, then use the tds meter to check that it's still the same. The problem with using a tds meter is that it measures just what the name says, total dissolved solids. So it measures things other than salt.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit