Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I NEVER have 0 CC...

1. Back To Top    #1

I NEVER have 0 CC...

Using FAS/DPD...

15,000 gal plaster in ground.

CYA: 30

Pool is largely in the shade, and often covered with a solar cover, so I am usually adding just a few cups of bleech... keeping my FC at a steady 5.

Water is always stable as a rock. A few glugs of acid a week keep the pH right in line.

BBB is wonderful... Pool just about takes care of itself.

The only thing is that my CC is NEVER 0.

After calculating my FC, I put my 5 drops of 0003 in, and it ALWAYS turns a light shade of pink, which is disolved with a single drop of 871.

Nothing to worry about I know... Was just wondering if anyone else experiences similar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: I NEVER have 0 CC...

It is normal to have some CC in the water. That just tells you that your chlorine is doing its job. When you need to address the CC is only when it is > 0.5 ppm. Less than that is ok and requires no further worry or treatment.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Clearwater, FL.

Your good as long as you don't over 1 drop on the test to get back to clear.
    Mine sometimes uses 1 drop, other times no pink! It just depends a lot on weather, sun, bather load, pump running time and other things that might get in the pool from the wind blowing.
    I never need 2 drops, (TF-100 kit) so that proves to me I'm good!

Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

4. Back To Top    #4

Norfolk, UK

Very normal in a covered pool. If I leave my pool cover on for any extended period of time the CC can rise quite a bit, which I used to shock for. A sunny morning (rare in the UK) normally brings it back down again without shocking. Just part of the getting to know your own pool process.
    32x16 -16,500 gallon plaster pool with connected spa and spillover, Hayward RS 1 HP pump, 2 Hayward Cartridge filters. 10 hours of direct sun a day and a first time pool owner!!

5. Back To Top    #5
    SouthWest Alabama

If you wanted to you could use a 25ml sample and run the tests. Each drop is .2 instead of .5 so you'd know if it's actually lower than .5.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

SC Lowcountry

I'm about 75% of the time no CC, and <.5 the other. I keep my FC about where you do (4-6), and the CC comes and goes without reason, so I don't worry about it. One less thing to think about right?
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

7. Back To Top    #7

Coastalish 'down easter'

While I fully agree with the above responses, do you brush or vacuum the 'low circulation' areas regularly? If the pool has dropped to ~ 0 fc at any time this season, algae might have taken hold, and once it does, a couple ppm chlorine isn't going to kill it in the 'low flow' spots
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)