Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump/Filter with built-in GFCI and plugged into a GFCI outle

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump/Filter with built-in GFCI and plugged into a GFCI outle

As the subject says, I have a new Intex sand filter that has a GFCI built into the plug. I have it plugged into a timer that is plugged into a GFCI on the front of the house. Problem is, when I have it this way and the timer shuts the pump off, it trips both GFCI. ANyone have an idea what is going on?
    --
    Keith

Intex 15' x 48" AGP (5300 gallons)
    Intex 2,100-Gallon Sand Filter Pump
    Central Mo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump/Filter with built-in GFCI and plugged into a GFCI o

Is either the timer or the plug at all wet? Also, what kind of timer is it, particularly is it digital or mechanical?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Not wet. It's a mechanical Intermatic.
    --
    Keith

Central Mo

4. Back To Top    #4

If you plug it into a non-gfci receptacle does it trip the Intex gfci?

Some gfci's don't like to be connected in series with other gfci's.

Also the pump on the Intex could be creating a spike on the neutral line when the hot is disconnected. Therefore causing the gfci's to sense it and trip.

How old is the timer?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I haven't tried the non-GFCI, was going to try it. The timer is 5 years old. I would think it's the outlet, the timer has never given me any problems.
    --
    Keith

Central Mo

6. Back To Top    #6

It is very rare for a mechanical timer to cause problems for a GFCI, and much more likely for the GFCI outlet to go bad. I would definitely try replacing the outlet GFCI.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Same result, trips the GFCI on the cord.

Past years (Before I had the sand filter) I have the kids turn the pump on by the switch on the Intermatic timer, then off when they are done. I have the timer set to come on in the middle of the night for 2-3 hours to turn the water over. This isn't working anymore, as soon as we turn the switch off via the Intermatic timer, the GFCI trips. I'm tempted to cut the end of the cord off and put a regular plug on the end.

Suggestions other than contacting Intex?
    --
    Keith

Central Mo

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a Intex sand filter with GFCI built into the cord also. Whenever power is cut off from the cord, from a timer, power outage, or even just unplugging it, it seems to trip the GFCI. In my case my outlet was not a GFCI, so I still needed to use the Intex one. I cut the cord after the intex GFCI and put a female plug on it to make a small GFCI extension cord out of it, bonus I now have a GFCI extension cord! I than plugged my timer into it, so the timer is only cutting power to the pump, and not the GFCI and pump, and presto no more tripping the GFCI.
    Sorry 'bout the winded explanation, but long story short, put a regular plug on it since you have a GFCI outlet and it should fix your problem.
    20' Easy Set frame pool 8800 gal. Sand filter. Stenner metering pump. BBB for 7 years now, no turning back.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks jeremeyi! I wondered if that would fix it, just wanted someone else to confirm it.
    --
    Keith

Central Mo

10. Back To Top    #10

It sounds like the gfci is bad. Since you have a gfci outlet then cutting the cord one off won't affect the safety.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Yep, I looked at it and I was able to unscrew the back and put a normal plug on it. Works like a charm now!
    --
    Keith

Central Mo

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm going to have to take a look at mine to see if I can simply unscrew it as I have the same issue. It doesn't trip my receptacle's GFCI, but the Intex one will trip even when disconnected from power. I pulled out my Intermatic mechanical timer yesterday only to find these results too (which I was expecting because of how it trips even when pulled from power.) I definitely don't want to cut the cord and void the warranty, but I do have an extra plug I can install sitting in the garage ready to go!
    Intex 15x36 Easy Set (2,800 g.)
    Intex 16" 2650 gph sand filter/pump combo & SWCG
    Intex 800 gph filter just for the surface skimmer

13. Back To Top    #13

having the same problem. What a pain. I'd like to not cut up my cord, and I will now have to install a gfci outlet in place of the one in my pole barn. But Im not running this pump 24/7 and I dont want to go out everynight and turn it on and off.
    24,000 gallons, IG, vinyl
    Pump: dyna-tech 1hp
    Filter: Hayward S210T w/ variflow xl
    brominator: perform-max pool sanitizer

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: Pump/Filter with built-in GFCI and plugged into a GFCI outle

Bump

Only takes 4 Phillips screws to access the wires. You do not need to remove the spanner screws. If your outside outlet is already a GFCI, just buy a regular plug and connect the wires
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex Ultra Frame 20' x 52" AGP (28339TT)
    8,600 gallons, city water
    Sand filter, 1,600 GPH pump

15. Back To Top    #15

Re: Pump/Filter with built-in GFCI and plugged into a GFCI outle

I have tried both timers with my above ground pool pump. It has a built in GFI and the reset button is used to start the pump and the test button to turn it off. The timer will turn the pump off but cannot start it. Any suggestions to set it to start, turn off and start again.