Replace single with two speed motor

May 23, 2007
Michigan
My motor went out on my pump two years ago during a real hot spell so I just went to the local pool store and replaced it with the same single speed motor even though I had been wanting to replace it with a two speed motor. I am now thinking of upgrading to a two speed motor to lower my electric costs and keeping the single speed as a back-up but don't know if I really would save enough to make it worth my time.

What I have:
20*40 Liner pool with spill over spa and electric cover
Pump is a Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP (Pump is 5' from pool with no hills)
RPM 3450 18.6/9.3 210 Volt
Jandy Purelink with PDA (Salt System with Automatic Jandy Valves)
Use a robotic pool cleaner

I am confused what I pay "Total" per Kilowatt so here is my bill says
Power Supply Energy 544 KWH @ 0.06726 $36.59
1181 KWH @ 0.08136 $96.09
Delivery Charges
Distribution 1725 KWH @ 0.04195 $72.36
Energy Optimization 1725 KWH @ 0.002538 $ 4.38

Questions I have:

1. Where can I get the best price for a two speed motor ?
2. My SPA jets don't have as much pressure as I would like so would a 2HP motor increase the pressure?
3. Can my Jandy be wired to change the speeds of the pump ? Go to high speed when the SPA is turned on vs walking to the pump and hitting a switch ?
4. I run my pump about 12 hours a day so how much could I save with two speed pump considering the energy cost ? (Live in Michigan so pool is open only 7 months a year)

I read a lot of the existing posts on this subject and am still very confused so any specific information you can give me would be helpful.

Thanks !

The SP2610X15 will use about 1400 watts on a high head loss pool. Switching to a two speed motor, low speed will use about 350 watts but you need to run it twice as long for the same filtering. So overall you can save close to 50% with low speed.

How large is your pool (gallons) and how long do you normally run the pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.