Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: More test numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

More test numbers

I have my first test numbers, but I need help knowing what I need to do now, what to add, etc.

FC 1.5
    CC 1
    TC 2.5
    pH 7
    T/A 70
    CH 60
    CYA 65
    Doughboy 18x38 AGP buried 2' deep. 18,400 gal. Hayward Power Flo Matrix. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter. TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First test numbers

Your CC is greater than .5, so you need to shock your pool. See instructions in Pool School.

Also, I suggest you get your pH to at least 7.2 ish before shocking.

Post back with any q's.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

More test numbers

Today's test:

FC 1.5
    CC .5
    TC 2
    pH 7.2
    T/A 70
    CYA 60

Not too shabby considering we had a 25 person party all day Saturday.

I used the pool calc and it recommends the following:

185oz bleach
    40oz Borax
    91 oz baking soda

Sound right?

Also, how do you add the borax and baking soda? Mixed up in water poured in front of the jet? Dumped into the skimmer? Or what?

Thanks again for the advice. This method ROCKS!

Also, the testing only took me 15 minutes this time. The first time it took over an hour.
    Doughboy 18x38 AGP buried 2' deep. 18,400 gal. Hayward Power Flo Matrix. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter. TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: More test numbers

You don't need to adjust pH or TA. Just add bleach

Since you dropped below the min for your CYA, I suggest you add to the high side of your maintenance level.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome! Thanks. I will do just that.

6. Back To Top    #6

Another question: when you add your bleach, do you see tiny whirlpools develop on the water surface as it gets sucked down, or am I adding it too fast?

7. Back To Top    #7

Pour the bleach it slowly in fron of the return with the pump running - not in the skimmer.
    Viking Pools Freeport 12' x 25' Fiberglass 6000 Gallon Screened - Hayward Pro-Grid Vertical D.E. Filter DE2420 Hayward Superpump 1HP - Zodiac Pacer Cleaner - Pool Pilot Digital - TF-100 test kit - Central Florida Thanks to TFP Pool School, SWCG and the Pool Calculator, taking care of the pool is easy!

8. Back To Top    #8

I did pour it in front of the return, not in the skimmer. Apparently the whirlpools are not limited to when I add bleach. They happen all the time when the pump is on high.

9. Back To Top    #9

That is normal, it depends on how the return is pointed. I get them on low speed when adding bleach as well.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!