pool builder caught on our security camera

zan

Jan 19, 2011
So our build has gone good and bad at times. The pool company wants to use a family member who clearly had issues. He would stay at the site when the supervisor was there and then say he had an emergancy as soon as the super left. So he was not allowed back on the property. By the way we are not picky people. Time for the concrete finish process which was hand troweled sundek like product, with the stone cut in look. First thing he did at the end of the day was come up to my Audio Video guy who was working on our outdoor theater and asked if the cameras he sees around the yard are turned on. I then get a call from the audio guy to check the tapes. It turns out he was working for a few minutes then he would take his shirt off and take a ***** bath in my new pool. At the end of the day he would look around for other workers and if the coast was clear he would clean all of his tools in the pool, including his bucket with all the thin set or sundek. He would then sweep it around to make it look like it wasnt put in the shallow end. I called the pool company and told them what was happening and they said it just wasnt true. Just for fun a day later i said I wonder what would happen if i had the stuff on tape and the company just laughed. So the next Monday I called the supervisors and the owner over to my house for what i called a viewing. You should have seen the look on their faces as i pulled up the footage from 4 different angles. I asked if anyone wanted to watch it outside for a better, more realistic view.
So needless to say the rest of the pool build went with out problem. It might seem useless but a good security camera system is worth a ton. I can check on it during the day to see whats going on in the back yard or front or where ever. I will try to post the video of the whole thing for fun. Any questions feel free to ask away.

You just cannot trust too many people these days. We always make sure that one of us is present when a contractor is going to be doing work in the back yard. When we had the pool service, we did not do that. Sometimes I wondered what was happening when he was on our property. One day we came home and found that the leaf canister that was attached to the pool vac was undone. He was supposed to do chemicals only so why was he messing with the leaf canister and then not put it back together??? I called the pool service company to complain and they insisted that he said he did not touch the leaf canister. Well, someone did because it was in pieces as if someone was going to clean it and forgot to put it back together. No one else had access to the backyard since the gate has a combination lock on it. So glad that we are taking care of the pool now thanks to the help that we get from the experts on this forum.

zan said:
It turns out he was working for a few minutes then he would take his shirt off and take a ***** bath in my new pool. At the end of the day he would look around for other workers and if the coast was clear he would clean all of his tools in the pool, including his bucket with all the thin set or sundek. He would then sweep it around to make it look like it wasnt put in the shallow end.

Did they fire this guy?

My husband and I own a security company and we have a ridiculous amount of demo equipment at our home and office. It's amazing what we have caught on camera over the years. We have two teenage daughters who can't sneak a thing past us. :lol: We have caught boys trying to climb in their windows, a guy stealing gas from our vehicles, people sneaking in to go for a swim when we were not home, my 450 pound drunken neighbor running down the road naked at 2:00 am (ewww,wish I hadn't seen that! :roll:) and lots of other things. I love being able to see what's going on at my house while I'm at work, and what's going on at the office while we're at home. A few people have thought the cameras wouldn't be able to see them if they came lurking around after dark..... fools!

I hope they fired the guy you caught!

I could have used a security camera system during the end of my build. They came in one day to work on a repair and on the ticket in CAPS "Make sure you close the gate due to dogs" We came home and the gate was wide open. At that point, we told them NO visits without someone here. Several weeks later, our neighbor called and said they were there and they were there for 4 hours and we didn't find anything done to the pool. We had caulking still in need to get completed and we can only suspect they were prepping. We no longer have them coming out to our house. Where has respect and honesty gone in today's world??? I've never gone through such a revealing process to mistrust people who appear to be quite nice at the beginning and I'm certainly old enough to know better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have security cameras around my house and in my garage. They don't cover where I go behind the bushes. I love having my cameras.

Anyone interested in how I did it, I have a server at my house that runs 24/7 for other reasons (I'm an IT guy) and I use a software package called Blue Iris ($49 for up to 16 cameras IIRC) and inexpensive, WiFi cameras around the house and in the garage. I haven't seen anything interesting in the back yard other than a random cat here and there during the night, and a coyote once in my driveway.

RobbieH said:
I have security cameras around my house and in my garage. They don't cover where I go behind the bushes. I love having my cameras.

Anyone interested in how I did it, I have a server at my house that runs 24/7 for other reasons (I'm an IT guy) and I use a software package called Blue Iris ($49 for up to 16 cameras IIRC) and inexpensive, WiFi cameras around the house and in the garage. I haven't seen anything interesting in the back yard other than a random cat here and there during the night, and a coyote once in my driveway.

What brand WiFi cameras are you using? I've been seriously thinking about setting something similar up myself due to issues with a sticky fingered neighbor....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.