Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Greetings from Northeast Ohio and the black* swamp

1. Back To Top    #1

Greetings from Northeast Ohio and the black* swamp

*with a hint of green

I have been poking around the forum for a few weeks (went through the entire pool school once so far), but have been waiting to dive in until I was more sure I had the need. I should be closing on a home next week that has an in ground pool, so I have been trying to do my home work. The home is a foreclosure and has been vacant for at least year, and the pool/swamp has been neglected at least as much.

As for the pool, I have listed some of the things that I know, as best I could, in the sig. It was installed 20-21 years ago, and I assume the equipment is the same age.

It is listed as 16x32 and is kind of a squared off oval. I estimate 18000-21000 gallons based on the visible square footage and a guess on the depth (there is a diving doard, so I assume at least 6-7 feet depth at that end).

First question I have, is how do I tell what type pool it is? I assummed plaster as I did not realize there were other surface options for in ground pools. Looking at some of the forum pics I noticed many have a vinyl wrap around the edge of the pool and others have concrete or stone leading all the way too the edge of the pool. The pool I am inheriting has the vinyl wrap which is making me wonder if that is a characteristic of a vinyl lined pool.

Seond question is, how do I clean it? From what I have gathered, trying a drain and refill is a bad idea, especially for an inground pool, and even moreso for vinyl lined. My thought process then is try and remove (by skimming) as much of the solids as possible. Then fire up the pump and filter and let it do some of the more finer filtering off the water and start adding chems and testing as per the swamp -> oasis write up.

I have also been trying to figure out what and where to buy. Sams club seems to have the best price on bleach locally, and I have a lowes/home depot nearby that should have acid. I have been considering picking up a tub of tri-clor in the case I need CYA with the added benefit of providing additional shock power (as a relatively cheap Cl source). I have a SWG, so at some point a will try to get that installed as well.

Pretty overwhelming at this point, but I see a successful outcome with the knowledge I have gathered so far. Still have not order my test kit yet, the $110 tag is a bit overwhelming, might be more palatable if I drop the salt option...

Thanks to all.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Greetings from Northeast Ohio and the black* swamp

I know sometimes the price tag on the test kit may seem like a lot, but it is without a doubt the single best investment you can make in taking control over your pool. Where there is knowledge, there is power... and this kit will provide you with the knowledge of what is going on with your water and this forum will help you from there. Even though you are looking at $100 up front, every time you leave that pool store empty handed (or at least without expensive unneeded chemicals) you will think that is the best $100 you ever spent.

BTW... my swamp was formerly the blackest of black and now it sparkles.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

If you haven't already, take a look at Turning your green swamp back into a sparkling oasis.

The test kit is well worth it, and will more than pay for it's self in avoided problems and savings on chemicals in the long run.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome from Texas! Glad you found the forum, and you will be too after you spend a little time here.

It is a great place to learn about, and then enjoy taking care of your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the welcomes. I have now completed my first step and have ordered my test kit.

To Jason, I have read the swamp --> oasis, even have a printed copy, I would laminate it, but I only plan on using it once! It seems to start at what I belevive to be step 2 or 3 for what I need. I believe I need to eliminate the big stuff prior to attacking the microbes.

Any comments to my assumptions or questions would be most helpful. Thanks to those that are joining me on this journey.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

6. Back To Top    #6

If you can afford to get it, make sure to get the speed stir. If not pick that up next, as it will make testing a lot easier especially since you will be shocking. 110.00 is nothing compared to the time you spend going back and forth to the pool store and the chemicals they will have you buying.

When I got my test kit and I could test at home it was great. Do it in the comfort of my home and knowing I was getting correct results instead of wondering if they are correct or not.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!