Hayward Perflex DE Pool Filter leaking

Jun 23, 2011
Hey guys, longtime lurker, but new member. I am having a bit of an issue with my pool filter. There is a leak right where the backwash pipe connects to the filter. I was wondering if this is a fix I can repair myself by emptying the filter, pulling out the pipe and refitting it? I am a new pool owner and thanks to your site maintain a crystal clear pool. I have had no problems until I noticed the leak yesterday. I am at work right now so can't post a pic, but I can when I get home tonight. I have caulked it with silicone to stop the leak while the filter is off, but while it is on some water leaks due to the pressure.

Thanks,

Ritz

Welcome to TFP!!

I usually don't bother messing with backwash line leaks (you're dumping the water anyway - who cares where it goes :lol: )

If the problem persists when you are running the pool on 'filter', then you've got a valve (multi) issue, which should be addressed.

The good folks here will help you with your issue :cheers:

Ritz

Not sure which specific model you have, but most of the Hayward Perflex filters have a ball valve that threads into the backwash port at the base of the filter. You should be able to loosen the valve, add some thread seal tape and retighten to stop the leak :)

If the ball valve itself is leaking, you should be able to replace it for less than $35.

No multi-port on these models so you definitely need to repair the leak.

PSG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.