Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Hayward Perflex DE Pool Filter leaking

Hayward Perflex DE Pool Filter leaking

Hey guys, longtime lurker, but new member. I am having a bit of an issue with my pool filter. There is a leak right where the backwash pipe connects to the filter. I was wondering if this is a fix I can repair myself by emptying the filter, pulling out the pipe and refitting it? I am a new pool owner and thanks to your site maintain a crystal clear pool. I have had no problems until I noticed the leak yesterday. I am at work right now so can't post a pic, but I can when I get home tonight. I have caulked it with silicone to stop the leak while the filter is off, but while it is on some water leaks due to the pressure.

Thanks,

Ritz

Re: Hayward Perflex DE Pool Filter leaking

As long as there is not a crack in the filter housing you should be able to fix it without too much difficulty. Pictures would be great!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

We need pictures.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Welcome to TFP!!

I usually don't bother messing with backwash line leaks (you're dumping the water anyway - who cares where it goes )

If the problem persists when you are running the pool on 'filter', then you've got a valve (multi) issue, which should be addressed.

The good folks here will help you with your issue
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

Ritz

Not sure which specific model you have, but most of the Hayward Perflex filters have a ball valve that threads into the backwash port at the base of the filter. You should be able to loosen the valve, add some thread seal tape and retighten to stop the leak

If the ball valve itself is leaking, you should be able to replace it for less than $35.

No multi-port on these models so you definitely need to repair the leak.

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.