Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: no skimmer flaps

1. Back To Top    #1

no skimmer flaps

After reading around here I have realized that my pool's skimmers don't have flaps. Is that ok?

I'll post pictures tonight.
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: no skimmer flaps

To give a totally useless answer, its not a problem until it becomes a problem! Meaning that the weir or skimmer door does serve a function, but unless the water level gets too low you are not likely to notice. The floating weir helps regulate the flow of water into the skimmer when the pump is on. When the pump is off, it closes and keeps debris in the skimmer from floating back into the pool. If you do not have a lot of falling, floating debris in your pool, then you won't be bothered by debris washing back into the pool. If the water level starts to get low, you will see more of a vortex effect sucking air into the skimmer without a weir in place.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah I don't see a vortex at all right now because the pool is very full.

However... last night about a thousand flying ants suicided into my pool.
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

4. Back To Top    #4

The weir actually does two things:
    - When the pump is on, it lets the top edge float around the water level and affects the flow characteristics into the skimmer. Its increases the flow into the skimmer so that more surface debris gets drawn into the skimmer.
    - blocks debris from flowing back out of the skimmer when the pump turns off.

A vortex action is mostly due to the amount of suction from your pump.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Its possible you have "circular wier" skimmers. Essentially your basket may have two pieces, one that floats and acts as the flap or door and the basket itself. Thats what I have.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

6. Back To Top    #6

Our skimmer weir was non-functional because it lost the foam piece that allows it to float at the surface of the water. Without this, the flow into the skimmer was very weak and often the leaves would just sink to the bottom of the pool. I replaced that foam, and now the skimmer is working great. The weir serves to increase the speed of surface water, and this is important for skimmer function.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have regular baskets that sink to the bottom of the skimmer. From what am learning, having a full blown vortex in the skimmer isn't how it should look though. I am concerned though because I have excellent suction and the skimmers still aren't working well. Plus, when the pump shuts off at 7pm, anything that was in the skimmer is back into the pool for swim time at 8.

I felt around in the skimmer and there's holes for a door hinge of some sort. I need to order some online, is there anything I need to look for or are these doors all standard?

Thanks!
    -Tom

8. Back To Top    #8

You'll have to measure the opening to make sure you get one that fits. They come in different sizes. Even the universal ones are different sizes.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Some universal replacement doors use a spring to push a pad out both sides and then use the friction between the pad and the skimmer sides to hold the weir in place ... these could work if you are not able to determine the correct door to mount (screw?) into you skimmer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

UPDATE!

I got the model number off the opening of the skimmer. It's a Hayward 1070. Luckily the local PS had the flaps in stock. I picked up 2 @ ~25 each and they installed pretty easily. They're working perfectly and now that I am running the filter only 6 hours a day now, all the stuff doesn't end up right back in the pool!

I also picked up the OEM baskets for the skimmer because the ones that the previous owners had in there were actually too small and was letting water seep around the basket.

Thanks for all the help, another step on my way to my very own Trouble Free Pool.
    -Tom

11. Back To Top    #11

twoolley, can you let me know how to remove the weir/flap from the skimmer housing? Just pull out or there is pins to push in? I have the same skimmer and need to replace the weir. Thanks.
    Fremont, CA
    16K plaster IG pool with spa
    cartridge filter, SWG, solar heat

12. Back To Top    #12

On the oem replacement weir for the Hayward 1070 skimmer, it comes with a new lower hinge/frame attached...this will attach to the skimmer housing with a single screw in the center of the lower hinge/frame.
    IG Gunite pool built in 1994 3ft/5ft/3ft about 10-12000 gallons, Pentair Challenger 1-1/2 hp pump, Pentair TR 60 Sand filter.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMW View Post
    Our skimmer weir was non-functional because it lost the foam piece that allows it to float at the surface of the water. Without this, the flow into the skimmer was very weak and often the leaves would just sink to the bottom of the pool. I replaced that foam, and now the skimmer is working great. The weir serves to increase the speed of surface water, and this is important for skimmer function.

Where did you get the foam to replace in the weir and what type of foam is it?
    10K in-ground, plaster pool using chlorine (liquid and Cal Hypo), just added Borax to 50ppm.
    1.5hp pump with cartridge filter and five groups of pop-up floor cleaners.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I used a piece that I cut out of a flat pool float if that helps any. It was one of those that they sell at Dollar Tree during the summer. Has worked good for me for a complete turn of the seasons.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir