Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

Madbury, NH

New to BBB

Hi all,
    At the beginning of the season I converted from Baquacil with 12 1 pound bags of shock and then I found the BBB method, I am 3 weeks into it and my wife thinks I am insane, although she can not deny the quality and cleanliness of the pool so far this year, let alone the cost.
    For the last two weeks my readings have been as follows.
    FC- 5.2
    CC- .2
    PH- 7.4
    TA- 90
    CYA- 30
    Taylor k-2006 test kit
    I love the ease of the system, I dealt with a cloudy pool for 2 years and a bad pool store, I will never look back
    24' round@ 52" deep AG /vynil liner with a jacuzzi laser 160/ 1 hp sand filter.
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: New to BBB

That's a nice post, jasperfish. Remember, you are the system. It's your knowledge that you have gained that allows you to manage your pool this way.

Couple of can use the 10ml sample of pool water when you do the FAS/DPD chlorine test if you like. It'll give you .5ppm accuracy instead of .2ppm but it'll save on the reagents....they're the two most expensive in the kit.

You don't say where you live, but if you're South, you could consider upping the CYA to 40-50 when you get ready. It'll save a little on chlorine costs. That said, if what you have is working nicely for you, I don't think I would fix something that isn't broke.

Wives thinking we are insane is pretty much par for the course, at least at my house. I'm ok with that but I wish she would stop making fun of my tin foil else am I supposed to get the signals?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum Jasper. Sounds like you did very well, and sory your wife thinks you're a nut! I bet
    she comes around in some time....if you don't start wearing a foil hat!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4

It's ok... your wife will come around.

My husband thought I was crazy when I told him how I wanted to maintain our pool. The only thing he knew or thought to do was to rely on pool stores so the thought of a test kit (or chemistry set as he would like to call it) at home made him think something was wrong with me... why did I want to go to the trouble when the pool store would test it for free. Forget that the closest pool stores that do testing are 10 mins & 15 mins away. Then to tell him I wanted to use bleach Had to show him the active ingredient was the same as pool chlorine and even then it took him awhile to believe me. Imagine then his reaction when I found an swg on clearance and brought it home!

The longer you do BBB, the more you'll like it. Hubby comes home telling me how much $$ the guys at work are dumping into their pools and he just grins.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.