An alternative to vacuuming?

loop_pea

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
England, UK
I have a painted pool, and I've brushed all the paint flakes down to one corner of the deep end. One way to get them out is to hook up the vacuum hose to the skimmer and suck them all out, but this involves racing back and forth to empty the pump strainer basket, and to be honest it's a complete PIA. There must be a better way!

I can see all this stuff just sitting there, and it makes me want to get a dustpan and brush and sweep it up? Is there a pool equivalent of a dustpan and brush? It's quite a large pile of stuff and it seems a bit strange to put it all through the circulation system.

We have a Catfish pool vaccuum. It works really well. It attaches to a pole and has a rechargeable battery system. We always use it to clear bigger items from our pool quickly for "looks" and have the normal vacuum run it's course. They run about $125 online. I've been very pleased with the capability of this vacuum. I can honestly say that I have a vacuum hose and have used that system twice in close to a year. It's nowhere near as effective as the Catfish.

Yup, I do have a leaf net and a large brush. I sort of tried sweeping and scooping this morning, but didn't end up with much in my net. Perhaps some nets have bigger holes in than others. Maybe I'll give it another go from in the pool, although I think I'd stand a better chance with a finer net.

The Catfish pool vac seems to cost £199 in the UK. Oh rip-off Britain!

We've had our vacuum for over 3 years and it continues to work as it did from the beginning to give you an idea on longevity. We had a blow up pool and portable spa prior to construction of our pool. I was very speculative when Lana purchased it, but I am now sold on it.

I've seen some cheap air pressure based hand pump vacs like a bicycle pump too. Should work fine for that small area you have it herded into. Probably have to do it underwater though----short handles! I'd try the finer net and brush approach I think.

Sorry I’m a little late to comment on this thread, but I don’t get a chance to come here to the forum too often.

I hate manual vacuuming as much as anyone else and the bots aren’t worth the money (in my experience). I use a leaf rake or skimmer net to gather up the larger pieces of debris (if necessary), then sweep the pool and the smaller debris toward the shallow end of the pool, and finally use a pressure vac to vacuum it up. The vac I use looks something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Blue-Water- ... B001BQGN1C.

Since my pool is pretty much standard size, this system works well for me. I figured that since I had to sweep my pool anyway, I might just as well sweep the debris into a small dedicated area for easy vacuuming. There are a couple of caveats for those who may want to try this system of pool cleaning. First, you will need a pole that is both long enough and strong enough to handle the job. Since I choose to push the debris UPHILL from the deep to shallow end, the flimsy aluminum pool store poles are not really up to this particular task. I prefer to use a much sturdier “Slim Jim” all purpose utility pole that can be purchased at a local hardware store. These poles are heavier than the typical pool pole, so it will take a bit more arm strength to maneuver them. Second, you must attach a garden hose to the unit to obtain the pressure to create the suction required for the vac. This is really not a logistics problem but more of a “I’m a cheapskate” problem for not wanting to use water unnecessarily (although this is a good way of adding water to the pool if one requires it). Therefore, I use an adapter for my return so that I can attach my garden hose to it thereby using the return to create the necessary pressure for the vac. Obviously, you will need to have good pressure from the return to make this method effective. Finally, I found that the mesh debris bag that came with the unit was not fine enough to catch the very small bits of dirt. To solve this problem I merely substituted the stock bag with a standard filter sock which worked much better at catching the small stuff. Also the area covered by the Jet Vac from wheel to wheel, is much smaller than the standard vacuum head. However, the method of sweeping into a small area will compensate for this. When finished vacuuming, merely remove the debris bag and pressure hose it clean.
So, what are the advantages of using this method over conventional manual or bot vacuuming?
1. Time saver. In about thirty minutes I am finished with the entire process, whereas with the standard vacuuming and then sweeping it would take me almost twice as long. It may seem counterintuitive to sweep first and then vacuum, but this system of pool cleaning has served me well.
2. “Look ma, no stinkin’ bot in the pool.” Yes, I hate these things. I use my pool almost daily during the season, and the only thing I want to see in it, other than people, is crystal clear water. (not really an advantage, but a reason to save all the $$$).
3. Reduced backwashing. I only backwash my sand filter on opening and closing the pool with virtually no loss of filter pressure throughout the season.

This system will obviously not work for everyone. Different sized/shape pools and type of equipment, personal temperament, and physical ability will dictate what is best for you. But if you can manage it, you will find that it is quite efficient in the long run.

I would suggest that you get a leaf trap and use it inline with your vacuum head. I ended up getting one this spring when I was opening my swamp and got tired of the hassles with removing the vacuum hose to empty the skimmer basket.

I bought the Pentair 186A leaf trap and would recommend it for it's capacity but I am sure that the others all work as well.

Here is a link for reference only - no experience with this company.

http://grantfords.com/product_info.php?&i=B001E8ZL8S

Regards,

Jay

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.