I really need some help...Thanks!

Jun 25, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
There are two problems that my husband and I have noticed in our pool this summer:

1. Yellow stains have appeared on our white stairs. I bought some Vitamin C tablets at Walmart and they took the yellow stain off. I read pool school and understand that I need to buy about 2 pounds of ascorbic acid, lower my chlorine level to zero, etc. etc....but, can I wait until the weather gets cooler to do this? I have family coming over to swim this Sunday. Is it going to harm anything by putting this off for a few months/winter? My biggest fear is getting algae. Here in Texas we are in the triple digits!!! I'm keeping my FC at 10 just to be on the safe side (CYA is about 60). I'm terrified to drop my chlorine to zero!! :shock:

**For those interested, I have attached a pdf file/link of our city's water report from last year. Even though Chemistry was my minor in college, it was never my strong point, I hated it! :lol: It looks like we might have copper in our city water, but it's hard for me to tell... http://tx-wichitafalls.civicplus.com/do ... 202010.PDF

2. My husband and I are both tasting SALT in our pool??? I do NOT have a SWG, so I have no idea why we are tasting salt, but my pool water is very salty. I use 6% sodium chloride (bleach) to sanitize the pool...is it possible for the sodium in the bleach to have built up to such high levels that we can both taste it?

Thank you all for your help/advice. I really appreciate it! :mrgreen:

Like most stains, the longer you wait, the more difficult they will likely be to remove but still not impossible to do. Your staining is completely unrelated to algae.

I have no idea why you taste salt. Unless your salt test 3000ppm or so, it is normally undetectable. Have you tested your salt level?

Well, if it was my pool, I would wait 'til cooler weather to tackle the stains; however, you can/should maintain a sequesterant dose.

You might consider crushing vit C tabs in a sock and moving the sock around on the steps to lift the stain.

Dunno know about the salt, as Dave said, you should test it.

What brand bleach do you use?

From the report your copper level is only .07 so that's not enough to be concerned with.

I'd also wait till later to attack the stains. You can add polyquat algaecide while you're treating them if you're afraid of an algae outbreak.

I have never added salt to our pool but have 1600 ppm salt just from the bleach I've used to chlorinate the last few years. If you've added 4 ppm per day of chlorine, figuring a long pool season of 9 months you've added about 1800 ppm per season. And if you've shocked a few times then it's well over that. So you could certainly have enough salt in there to taste.

Just a comment about the salt - I tested my pool using test strips that I bought at Walmart and came in at 1400ppm, and I can taste the salt in my pool. :tongue:

I have a reason for the salt being that high because I added some solar salt last year to silken the feel of the water. Since I'm on a low-sodium diet I think my taste buds are more sensitive to the salt taste.

Let us know if you test your salt level,
Jan aka :thequeen: Pink Queen

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I am going to use Butterfly's suggestions and crush some Vitamin C tablets in a sock to try and remove the stains from at least the stairs (since it is the most noticeable)...at least until I am able to add the acid.

I do not test my salt, because I never thought I needed to (having a non-SWG pool). However, now I am very curious to know how much salt is in my pool. Can I buy some test strips at Walmart for this? I know tests strips aren't usually very reliable, but aren't they ok to use for testing salt?

We use Walmart and Dollar General Brand bleach to chlorinate my pool. I was bummed at first, because for the longest time, Dollar General bleach had always been 3%. However, recently my husband and I were in the store and checked their large bottles of bleach, and sure enough it is 6%.

I am having to add a FULL BOTTLE (Large, 182 oz) of bleach to my pool every night. I tend to loose about 4ppm daily in my pool. I did an overnight test and it was negative for algae, but my chlorine demand has been insane this season. I assume it has to do with the triple degree temperatures we have had here in Texas.

Thank you again for all of your suggestions. I guess the salt taste isn't too much to worry about for now. I need to tackle the stains pretty soon though I know.

Thanks again! :)

P.S. As soon as I get some test strips, I will post my salt level here!

Oh and one other thing. Is the metal in my pool iron? Or copper? I am afraid that everyone's hair is going to start turning green. Should I warn people of this in advance if they have their hair colored/highlighted? I don't ever remember putting metal in my pool, but before I found this forum, I know the pool store I used to use told me to put in some algaecide...for all I know it might have had copper in it. Dang. :(

I'd almost bet it had copper in it. You can have it tested but it may not show up even if you have it. If you're worried about it you could get a blond hair extension and hang it in the water for a while and see if it turns green.

If it's welding spatter or shavings you're talking about, and they were cleaned out quickly, probably not. But if there were enough of them it could cause local staining if they were left on the surface long enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.