Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer and returns... what do I look for?

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer and returns... what do I look for?

I just realized that I don't think I have a skimmer or returns for my 18" x 38" oval AGP that is currently being setup... what should I look for? Do most skimmers come with returns, or do I have to buy them separately? I think I have the rest down pat on my pool, but I have no clue about the skimmer/returns setup... any help is appreciated.
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)
    Pentair Optiflow 1 HP 2 Speed pump
    Pentair cc200 cartridge filter
    Pentair UltraTemp Model 110 BLK 108,000 BTU Heat Pump
    2 Intex SWG's (copper unplugged)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer and returns... what do I look for?

Are you installing the pool or is a contractor doing it for you? Most pool packages come with skimmers and returns. If you do need to buy them separately, put in 2 returns opposite each other, and position the skimmer so the prevalent winds in your area blow toward the skimmer. Just look for a wide mouth above ground pool skimmer, I don't think there is much difference in brands.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you buy a new skimmer it will come with one return. I would be slightly concerned if the pool wall is up already and the skimmer or return holes are not aleady cut into the wall.

Grant

4. Back To Top    #4

If it's a new package, it should come with a skimmer and a return. If it didn't you need to go back to the dealer and request them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

My dad and brother are installing it for me (they do general home repairs/carpentry/electrical etc, so I figured they could handle it). I just didn't remember seeing it offhand in the boxes, but didn't really look hard (it was late at night when I thought of it lol). I will look again tonight to make sure it's there. Thanks for the help
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)
    Pentair Optiflow 1 HP 2 Speed pump
    Pentair cc200 cartridge filter
    Pentair UltraTemp Model 110 BLK 108,000 BTU Heat Pump
    2 Intex SWG's (copper unplugged)