Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NewPool Owner - How to figure out pump run time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Columbus, NJ

NewPool Owner - How to figure out pump run time?

Brand new pool owner here (installed 2 days ago). I have read a bunch of posts that would tell me how to determine the turnover rate, buy using my Pool Gallons divided by the GPM. I can calculate the pool gallons (24,000) but can't find out what my GPM is. I dont have a flowmeter, so what are my options? I can't seem to find anything in the filter documentation, and the pump has a variable speed setting from 1000 RPM to 3400 RPM. Of course, I have no Idea what it should be set at, or how long it should run.

Any Advice?
    40 x 16 IG Fiberglass pool | Triton II residential Sand Filter | SWG | Pentair UltraTemp 125,000 BTU HeatPump | Pentair IntelliPro VS+ SVRS Variable Speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: NewPool Owner - How to figure out pump run time?

Start off at 10 hours per day (better safe than sorry) and see how your water "performs".
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    On the border AR/TN

A helpful article for your consideration: pool-school/pump_run_time

Experimentation is key, and as Woodyp stated - see how your water "performs". Other concerns may be cost of electricity, or what time(s) of the day you enjoy swimming. I personally do not have a flow meter or know the exact flow through my pool piping...but I do know when my water looks "dull". Hope that helps. Enjoy!
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sault Ontario

I've been running mine for 2-3 weeks averaging about 14 hrs per day and the water quality is great. I've yet to install my timer at which point I'm going to back it down to about 12 hours.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list