Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Is this Black Algae ? See Pics

Is this Black Algae ? See Pics

My plaster is less than 1 year old. I have been keeping the FC at about a 15 level - (30 CYA) - for about 4 days now - and brushing pretty frequently.
    These are pics right after having brushed the spots with an algae brush. I have seen some of the little black heads that people talk about. And I have knocked some of them off with the brush. I think this is black algae but what I am unsure about is the almost orange-ish color of the plaster underneath the location of the black dots.

Re: Is this Black Algae ? See Pics

I see what looks like two different stains, dark spots and more smudged gray areas. The dots look somewhat like black algae, but the gray looks more like metal stains.

I suggest you try holding a vitamin C tablet against a stain/algae spot for 30 seconds, and you rub another spot/stain with a trichlor tablet for about a minute and see what effect those two treatments have.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Re: Is this Black Algae ? See Pics

Scrape the spot with your fingernail and rub the scraping on the back of a white business card - if the smudge is green - it's black algae and treat the pool appropriately.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)