Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in the line & a pinhead size hole in the filter's casing

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in the line & a pinhead size hole in the filter's casing

Hi all,
    I just opened the pool after a long leave of absence and I have my pool work cut out for me.
    I see through the transparent cover of the pump that there's air in the line. Also, I discovered a pin head size hole in the steel casing of the DE filter. The casing looks a bit rusted from outside.
    I don't think that this hole can be responsible for so much air leaking.

I have two questions:

1. How to cover the hole permanently? Maybe an epoxy glue?
    2. How to find the origin of the leak?
    My equipment is described in the signature. It’s reasonably basic.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in the line & a pinhead size hole in the filter's ca

It is nearly impossible to patch holes in the filter body permanently. You can temporarily patch it with epoxy from the inside, but that rarely holds very long.

Holes in the filter let water out while the pump is running. They can only let air in while the pump is off. Air in the pump strainer basket when the pump is running needs to come from somewhere between the pool and the strainer basket. The most common place is a bad seal on the lid of the pump strainer basket. It is also possible for a skimmer to draw in air through a vortex if the water level is too low. If it isn't either of those it must be a leak in the plumbing somewhere. On strategy to find such a leak is to slowly run water over each fitting you can get to with a garden hose and see if the air in the pump basket goes away. If the air goes away, the fitting you are running water over is the one that is leaking.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Air in the line & a pinhead size hole in the filter's ca

This was educating indeed , thank you.
    I tried to find who sells the body but I found that all the other parts are available but the body.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.