Hayward 500w underwater light not working.

Jun 1, 2011
Oakdale, CT
We purchased our house last fall. This spring I was trying to get familiarized with pool care and then I found this site. Thank the lord. So here is my pool light story. A breaker on the panel (in the basement) is listed pool lights (a gfci). I trace this line to a switch near our deck door. Every time I turn the switch on the gfci trips. So I starts to look out by the pool for a junction box but there isn't one. Then my wife tells me that when she was planting flowers in the bed around the pool fence she noticed a wire buried in the ground. This was right in line with the light in the deep end. Now it gets funny. I excavated some dirt by hand and discovered the wires leading to a junction box, inserted into a ziploc bag and buried in 12 inches of dirt! When I opened the junction box I found that it was completely packed with moist dirt/sand. Upon freeing the wires and extending the conduit about a foot above ground I miraculously discovered that the gfci no longer tripped when the switch was on. Then I wired the feed from the house to an outlet and to the pool light and enclosed it in a weatherproof housing. When I flipped the switch the outlet worked but no pool light. Removed the bulb and with a voltmeter determined that there was power to the metallic slug embedded within that epoxy material in the back of the can but no power to the center contact within the bulb socket. I'm assuming that I need a new light assembly. Any thoughts?

Ps. The shallow end has the same buried-box-in-the-ziploc. Amazingly, this pb is still in business.

Sounds like you're on the right track, and good sleuthing! Just recently I found a splice in a flower bed that was wrapped in pipe wrap, so I've been there :(

I'm having a hard time picturing the "slug"; perhaps a picture would help. You may be able to get away without buying a whole new light housing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.