Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation tips and tricks

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation tips and tricks

Gotta go out of town again ,this time vaca. No one at all to watch pool. Read somewhere on here (just can't find it again) about filling bottle with liquid Cl and letting it weep into pool. Anyone do this or how bout some other idea's you folk's use while your away. Just don't want to go back to pucks if there is anything else i can do. Thanks
    12X24 Oval AGP +/- 7100 gal
    Clearwater 100 cartridge filter
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation tips and tricks

When I go away for extended periods of time, I bring my pool water up to shock level, close the cover and come home to a clean, clear, sparkly pool. My pump is on a timer.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

3. Back To Top    #3

If you can run the pump on a timer and you don't get a lot of falling debris that blocks the skimmer, then bringing the pool to shock level is the best option. Some have used the open bleach bottle but if you don't set it up right you could get bleaching of your liner around where the bottle sits.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't do the bleach bottle without experimenting first. If you did it, you could tether it with a weight...like a bowie. Say somewhere close to a return jet. Shocking sounds the easiest though.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Pucks in a floater?
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

6. Back To Top    #6

If your cya is not too high you can use pucks for short term... Not sure if pump needs to be running continually for this, someone else would have to tell you as I've never used them.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Use the pool calculator to find out what X number of pucks will do to the CYA. It may not be that bad. And go to shock level as you leave.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

I've always used pucks when I'm unable to take care of the pool for a few days, ie. vacations. As long as your CYA is low to good, and you don't use them for more than a week or so, you should be okay.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Results from vac-brought pool up to shock level, covered with new 12 mil blue cover(50% cheaper from the folks at solarcovers.com , recieved in three days, thanks guy's) turned off pump and left. Ten day's and was little worried when i peeled back the cover but was blown away on how clear it was . Tested out at 3.5 cl which was still on my low end . Quick brush from settlement -24hr run and back to normal. Thanks for the imput guy's, this is definitly the way to go when away from home.
    12X24 Oval AGP +/- 7100 gal
    Clearwater 100 cartridge filter
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump