Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Solaxx PH Tek Acid Feeder

Solaxx PH Tek Acid Feeder

Anyone have any experience with this system: http://www.solaxx.com/ph_tek.php

I've read several of the posts regarding acid feeding here but have not come across any mention of this system. The systems I have read about here include Simpool, Stenner systems, and a more dyi system. The solaxx system looks to be an all-in-one system with PH sensor, pump, and tank which I don't think the other systems have. The downside to the other systems as far as I have been able to determine are:

Simpool: Difficult to get in the US? No tank included?

Stenner: Components need to be custom selected to match my needs and runs on timer system rather than sensor?

DYI: More than I care to mess with.

If any of these assumptions above are incorrect please correct my thinking. How much would a Stenner pump/tank system or the Simpool system cost compared to this system? I think the Solaxx system can be purchased for around $600.
    26,000 IG Pool (Gunite w/Premix Marbeltite), Jandy Stealth 2 speed pump, Jandy CL460 Cartridge, Jandy SWG, Nature2 (Disabled), Ultrapure Ozone, Polaris Cleaner, Jandy PDA controller

Re: Solaxx PH Tek Acid Feeder

It looks like a good system and if it's close to $600 it isn't a bad price. A stenner pump with the tank together is about $350.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

I was also looking into this unit, sharing some info I discovered in my research. The unit comes with 1.5" clamps, 2" are available at additional cost. The manual specifies fume free Sulfuric Acid be used. I e mailed Solaxx support about replacement tubes and they are available but was told not needed if you use Sulfuric Acid. They said the only time they had to replace tubes was "due to a incorrect installation allowing fumes from muriatic acid to damage the pump hose and roller". Reading up on Sulfuric, it seems to cost more and require more to lower PH. So now I am looking at the CAT system.
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

I have been using one for 2yrs with Mur-acid cut 50/50 it works great for me, set it and forget it.
    18000 gal Gunite free form
    Jandy 1 HP pump
    Jandy DEV 48 filter
    Raypak 400 heater
    Goldline Proligic SWCG
    Solaxx chemical feeder
    Dolphin Deluxe 4

We do not recommend using sulfuric acid in a swimming pool. Sulfuric acid adds sulfates (bad) and costs more (bad). Of course, it doesn't fume the way muriatic acid does (good).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Thanks chucklh and Jason. Chuck, that's good news, what strength MA are you using? Looks like I'm going to go Solaxx after all.
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

I use the standaard 31% cut 50/50 with water and easy to install........
    18000 gal Gunite free form
    Jandy 1 HP pump
    Jandy DEV 48 filter
    Raypak 400 heater
    Goldline Proligic SWCG
    Solaxx chemical feeder
    Dolphin Deluxe 4

I'm closing in on a year with the Solaxx and so far it's great. I mix water and MA in a bucket to about 50/50 proportions, I let it sit so the fumes clear and then pour it into the Solaxx. I calibrate the sensor probe about every 1.5 months, calibration is quick and easy. I had an out of calibration scenario with the pump it was reading 7.8 and actual was 7.2, still within TFP numbers, calibrated the sensor and all was well. I'm still on the original sensor, I believe they are supposed to last 12-18 months and if I recall Solaxx quoted 100 - 150 for a replacement. I plan to try a lower cost BNC PH Probe from ebay when it comes time to replace. I do find my TA is now low and out of TFP spec so I need to address that. My SWG is going into year 4 and the salt reading matches my drop test and I give credit to the Solaxx pump for that. So far I am happy with it.
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

That's a good report. We like real world experience.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.