Which pool steps should I get?

I am looking to get steps for the 18' x 38' oval above ground pool I am installing. I am planning to have a deck built next to my pool, but that might take an extra couple weeks at least, so I figured I should get steps with a ladder for now and then remove the ladder and attach to the deck when it's finished.

The couple I am looking at now are:

Main Access 24" Smart Step System and Smart Choice Ladder for $220 (http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/homepage ... mpid=CMPGB)

Main Access 36" Easy Entry Step and Smart Choice Ladder for $350 (http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... 00400T.htm)

Blue Wave 30" Easy Pool Step with Outside Ladder for $300 (http://www.csnstores.com/show_detail.ph ... 49-BWV1399)

For those of you who have steps... how important is the width of the steps? Is it worth the extra money to get wider steps?

Also, my deck will be mostly on the rounded end of my pool. Will steps fit against the curve, or will I need to extend the deck along the flat side some in order to connect the steps to a flat side?

Thanks for any advice.

If you have kids or people who may like to sit on the steps and kind of hang out half in the water I'd get the widest ones you can fit. It sounds like you are getting a large pool and although we have a ladder I am looking into steps like yours and with small kids they all tend to hang onto the ladder when they need a rest break while swimming.

You may also want to google each set of steps individually to see if you can find consumer reviews to give you more info. I've also asked about steps for above grounds here I've never really gotten a ton of feed back, maybe people are tired of talking about them. :blah:

I have steps going into my pool... I think it was the best money I ever spent with regard to the pool, with the exception of my test kit. :) I'd say go for the wider set if you can. Mine is convertible so that when the deck goes in, the outside ladder disconnects and the handrails can then be mounted to the deck. The design of the ones you are looking at allow for a much better water flow than mine... that's a good thing.

My steps have been a wonderful thing for my dog. He stays away from the sides of the pool as he knows he has a safe haven at the steps.

Oh... I see you are in the Philly suburbs... ME TOO! Hi neighbor. :)

HotShot53 said:
Thanks for the advice, I decided to get the 36" steps... no sense scrimping a couple bucks and then wishing I got the bigger ones the next few years.

Congrats! If you can post pictures of them and let us know how installation goes. I'm really interested in purchacing some but haven't seen too many pictures of them in actual use.

melissab said:
HotShot53 said:
Thanks for the advice, I decided to get the 36" steps... no sense scrimping a couple bucks and then wishing I got the bigger ones the next few years.

Congrats! If you can post pictures of them and let us know how installation goes. I'm really interested in purchacing some but haven't seen too many pictures of them in actual use.

Will do...need to remember to take some pics tomorrow morning of how putting up the pool is going so far... I'm hoping to be swimming in it 4th of July weekend

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
I have wedding cake steps but really like the Confer steps. No place for algae to hide.
We have wedding cake steps on a round pool. For "learning swimmers" I think they are best, nice to sit on, etc... I just pull them out from the wall occasionally overnight to let the chlorine do its work.

HotShot53 said:
melissab said:
HotShot53 said:

Will do...need to remember to take some pics tomorrow morning of how putting up the pool is going so far... I'm hoping to be swimming in it 4th of July weekend

Can you post some pics of how you attached it to your deck? I have the 24" stairs and plan on trying to attch them to my freshly finished deck this weekend. Thanks in advance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.