Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which pool steps should I get?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which pool steps should I get?

I am looking to get steps for the 18' x 38' oval above ground pool I am installing. I am planning to have a deck built next to my pool, but that might take an extra couple weeks at least, so I figured I should get steps with a ladder for now and then remove the ladder and attach to the deck when it's finished.

The couple I am looking at now are:

Main Access 24" Smart Step System and Smart Choice Ladder for $220 (http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/homepage ... mpid=CMPGB)

Main Access 36" Easy Entry Step and Smart Choice Ladder for $350 (http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... 00400T.htm)

Blue Wave 30" Easy Pool Step with Outside Ladder for $300 (http://www.csnstores.com/show_detail.ph ... 49-BWV1399)

For those of you who have steps... how important is the width of the steps? Is it worth the extra money to get wider steps?

Also, my deck will be mostly on the rounded end of my pool. Will steps fit against the curve, or will I need to extend the deck along the flat side some in order to connect the steps to a flat side?

Thanks for any advice.
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)
    Pentair Optiflow 1 HP 2 Speed pump
    Pentair cc200 cartridge filter
    Pentair UltraTemp Model 110 BLK 108,000 BTU Heat Pump
    2 Intex SWG's (copper unplugged)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which pool steps should I get?

Any advice from anyone with steps or that's looked at getting them? I want to order them tonight so I can get them next week...
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have kids or people who may like to sit on the steps and kind of hang out half in the water I'd get the widest ones you can fit. It sounds like you are getting a large pool and although we have a ladder I am looking into steps like yours and with small kids they all tend to hang onto the ladder when they need a rest break while swimming.

You may also want to google each set of steps individually to see if you can find consumer reviews to give you more info. I've also asked about steps for above grounds here I've never really gotten a ton of feed back, maybe people are tired of talking about them.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

I have steps going into my pool... I think it was the best money I ever spent with regard to the pool, with the exception of my test kit. I'd say go for the wider set if you can. Mine is convertible so that when the deck goes in, the outside ladder disconnects and the handrails can then be mounted to the deck. The design of the ones you are looking at allow for a much better water flow than mine... that's a good thing.

My steps have been a wonderful thing for my dog. He stays away from the sides of the pool as he knows he has a safe haven at the steps.

Oh... I see you are in the Philly suburbs... ME TOO! Hi neighbor.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice, I decided to get the 36" steps... no sense scrimping a couple bucks and then wishing I got the bigger ones the next few years.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by HotShot53
    Thanks for the advice, I decided to get the 36" steps... no sense scrimping a couple bucks and then wishing I got the bigger ones the next few years.
    Congrats! If you can post pictures of them and let us know how installation goes. I'm really interested in purchacing some but haven't seen too many pictures of them in actual use.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by melissab
    Congrats! If you can post pictures of them and let us know how installation goes. I'm really interested in purchacing some but haven't seen too many pictures of them in actual use.
    Will do...need to remember to take some pics tomorrow morning of how putting up the pool is going so far... I'm hoping to be swimming in it 4th of July weekend

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the "wedding Cake" style... The wider the better--easier to sit on.. You can see mine in my Avatar pic to the left of the post ..
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

9. Back To Top    #9

We bought the Confer Step 1 steps and absouletly love 'em!! We originally bought the wedding cake steps, but our installer talked us out of them. Because there's a void behind them, it has a perfect area for algae to grow. With the Confer steps, they have a vented side so water can flow through them. Had them 2 months, and so far no growth!

http://conferplastics.com/ConferBrochureLadder.pdf
    13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand filter
    Discovery LX 24" AG

10. Back To Top    #10

I have wedding cake steps but really like the Confer steps. No place for algae to hide.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I have wedding cake steps but really like the Confer steps. No place for algae to hide.
    We have wedding cake steps on a round pool. For "learning swimmers" I think they are best, nice to sit on, etc... I just pull them out from the wall occasionally overnight to let the chlorine do its work.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by melissab
    Will do...need to remember to take some pics tomorrow morning of how putting up the pool is going so far... I'm hoping to be swimming in it 4th of July weekend
    Can you post some pics of how you attached it to your deck? I have the 24" stairs and plan on trying to attch them to my freshly finished deck this weekend. Thanks in advance!
    Intex Ultra Frame 16' X 48" - 5,000 Gallons
    Intex Sand Filter System - 2650 GPH