Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Can I use pool water to water lawn?

Can I use pool water to water lawn?

I have salt water pool, salt at 3200, CL at 3 and need to drain a couple of inches. Can I hook up a sprinkler and at least water the yard with it or will it hurt my grass and more importantly my trees?
    Thanks
    BlueBell
    Austin, TX
    19K gallons, 500 approx sq. ft. pool, 33' x 16', outdoor, inground, med. grey plaster interior, gunite, hayward tristar 1 speed pump, perimeter 95

Re: Can I use pool water to water lawn?

Grass and most trees are just fine being watered with pool water in all but the most arid climates. In extremely arid environments the salt level can build up over time and cause problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Take a look at this web page. Note at the bottom there are links to types of plants and their ability to withstand salt.

http://www.salinitymanagement.org/Salin ... /cp_7.html
    35x19 15,000 gal, SWG, Pentair equip, 100% solar coverage, 400K heater, 9x7 spa Inground 3M Bora Bora with Dark Gray plaster

We backwash into the yard and drained a bit for winter and haven't seen any ill effects yet. We don't really have any other options.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

Thanks everyone, we drained 3-4 inches worth into the yard. I doubt this will happen very often as it doesnt rain much here in Texas. I'll post back if something bad happens.
    BlueBell
    Austin, TX
    19K gallons, 500 approx sq. ft. pool, 33' x 16', outdoor, inground, med. grey plaster interior, gunite, hayward tristar 1 speed pump, perimeter 95