Black algae question

slk230

Jun 22, 2011
TUCSON, AZ
I have a salt water pool with a Pebble Tec finish. I have to small areas of what I think is Black Algae.

Do any products work? What should I do? How do I know for sure if it is Black Algae. It does look like it in the picture that I have seen.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Please read through Pool School and pay particular attention to the sections how to shock your pool and
defeating algae. Also if you could post a current set of test results that would be great!

Try and scrape up some of the spot and rub it on the back of a white business card. If the smear is dark green then you have black algae. If that is the case you will need to scrub the spots with a wire pool brush and keep the pool at shock level until the algae is gone.

If you are not able to scrap any of the spot off or it doesn't leave a smear then try holding a plain, un-coated vitamin C tablet on the spot. If the spot fades then you have metal staining, which requires a different treatment.

Post back and let us know what you find out and we can proceed from there.

Butterfly said:
You can also try rubbing the area with a trichlor puck to see if it lightens any.

Can you post a pic for us?

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thank You Butterfly.

What is a trichlor puck?

I will try to send a pic later after it gets light. I assume you mean of the black spots or of the pool itself. I will send both.

A trichlor puck is a stabilized form of chlorine, formed/shaped into something of a disk shape.

I think they sell them as 'singles' (you don't want a bucket full) at WallyWorld?

And yes, rub the black spots, sorry about that :)

Maybe you have a pool buddy that could give you just one puck to try?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.