new pool water balance, questions

bobby1017

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 2, 2011
Petaluma, Ca
Here is my 1st real set of #'s for my pool water. It will be saltwater but there is none in yet for approx 1 week. I've added chlorine and some muratic acid to keep things "normal" but this was the first time I used the tf-100.

fc 3

cc 0

tc 3

ph 7.5

ta 160

ch 400

cya 45

temp 79.9

The ch seems high? what is your expert opinions.

thks Bob

Yes the CH is a little high but still manageable as long as you keep your TA and pH low. Don't let the pH get any higher than 7.5, keep it around 7.2 if you can and try to lower the TA to around 70. With fresh plaster your pH will want to rise so you will need to stay on top of it. A SWG will also tend to make pH rise.

fc 1
cc 0
tc 1
ph 7.5
ta 100
ch 310
cya 40
temp 79.7

I used the pool calc and added 1 gal of clorine and approx 1/2 gal of muratic to get to fc 3 & ph 7.2.

The t/a level is dropping to a better level after adding acid and areating.

Latest set of numbers from this morning, had'nt checked in 4 day's, that may be too long, fc was really low.

fc 4.5

cc 0

tc 4.5

ph 7.5

ta 100

ch 350

cya 42

temp 81.5

salt 3200

For some reason the salt cell is saying low salt and the clorine level this morning was only .5 ppm. not sure whats up there, but I added what chlorine was required to get to a good level.

I was also surprised that my cartrige filter really needed to be cleaned after only 2 months, the waterfalls flow was diminishing but the "gauge" on the filter did'nt indicate it was time to clean. It needed it, and after everything weas flowing normally.

Four days is too long to go without testing. You should test every day until you get very familiar with your pool and even then you should test at least every other day.

Have you cleaned the cell. With your numbers you may have to clean it more often. Also your CYA is low. How'd you get a 42 on that test?

I'd turn the swcg off and run the OCLT to be sure there's nothing growing in there that's consuming your FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since the cc are at 0 does'nt that mean that nothing is growing? Water is crystal clear. I'll check the oclt procedure and do that tonight.

I hav'nt cleaned the swcg yet but I will look into that also, I read the manual last night and I'll try hosing it out 1st. then acid if that fails.

The water level was slightly below the 40 mark on the cya tube so I "guestimated" it was 42. I've been wary of adding more but have read that most swg systems should have 50 / 70 so I guess I'll add a little.

At 8pm the cl level was at 7.5 ppm, after alot of kids swimming yesterday and this morning's disscussion I added a little too much clorine. I disabled the swcg system at 5pm today. Lets see what happens by am.

I bought some more cya powder today and will add some in a sock after my test tomorrow. I wanted to get liquid but the pool supply only had dry cya, they had "water conditioner" that sounded simalar but the ingredients wer'nt cya but something else, cant remember now.

Thanks for the help Bama.
Oclt test looks good, as of 7am the cl was at 7ppm with 0 cc, water looks great.
Added 28oz cya in a sock, pool calc said 60oz but I figured I'd sneak up on it by just adding half and see where it is. I guess it will take up to a week for the new cya to register on the test?
I also added 20lb of salt to bring that up to 3300 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.