New Pool Owner - Converting from Pristine Blue

May 13, 2011
Hi, last fall I took my friend's AGP. Since he had a bunch of Pristine Blue chemicals left, I decided to use them until I closed it for the winter. Over the winter I stumbled across this site and I decided that I would switch to chlorine (bleach) this year. I have done a bunch of reading in the forums and pool school, but before I dump 17 boxes of borax and 5 gallons of muriatic acid into the pool, I want to make sure I'm good to go. I don't want to find out I have to drain it later. My water is crystal clear and has been since I opened the pool. Below are my test results. Today I had the pool store test for copper and there was none.

TF100 Test Results - 6/21

FC: 3.5
CC: 0.5
TC: 4.0
pH: 7.6
TA: 120
CH: 110
CYA: 30
Temp: 77

Pool Store Test Results - 6/22

FC: 3.2
CC: 0.8
TC: 4.0
pH: 7.6
TA: 126
CH: 125
CYA: 66
Copper: 0
Temp: 75

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to TFP!

Some people would lower TA a bit before adding borates. Since you don't mention having a SWG or fountain, that is not especially important.

Otherwise, assuming your results are good and the pool store got the CYA level wrong, your numbers look good. I would raise CYA a little, as it is still early in the season, but there isn't any rush on that.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to test CYA again today to see if I'm wrong or the pool store is. My main concern is the Pristine Blue. Is there anything else I need to be worried about? I just don't want to find something out later and have to drain the pool.

The pool store got zero for the copper level, so you should be alright. Pool store results aren't totally reliable, but I suspect they are close enough this time and everything will be fine. If the water ever turns a clear transparent bright emerald green you will need to do something special, but otherwise things should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.