Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner - Converting from Pristine Blue

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner - Converting from Pristine Blue

Hi, last fall I took my friend's AGP. Since he had a bunch of Pristine Blue chemicals left, I decided to use them until I closed it for the winter. Over the winter I stumbled across this site and I decided that I would switch to chlorine (bleach) this year. I have done a bunch of reading in the forums and pool school, but before I dump 17 boxes of borax and 5 gallons of muriatic acid into the pool, I want to make sure I'm good to go. I don't want to find out I have to drain it later. My water is crystal clear and has been since I opened the pool. Below are my test results. Today I had the pool store test for copper and there was none.

TF100 Test Results - 6/21

FC: 3.5
    CC: 0.5
    TC: 4.0
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 120
    CH: 110
    CYA: 30
    Temp: 77

Pool Store Test Results - 6/22

FC: 3.2
    CC: 0.8
    TC: 4.0
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 126
    CH: 125
    CYA: 66
    Copper: 0
    Temp: 75

Thanks for the help.
    Dave

30' Vogue Zenith AGP (21,000 gallons)
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1.5 HP Pump
    Hayward XStream CC1500 Cartridge Filter (120 GPM)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner - Converting from Pristine Blue

Welcome to TFP!

Some people would lower TA a bit before adding borates. Since you don't mention having a SWG or fountain, that is not especially important.

Otherwise, assuming your results are good and the pool store got the CYA level wrong, your numbers look good. I would raise CYA a little, as it is still early in the season, but there isn't any rush on that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to test CYA again today to see if I'm wrong or the pool store is. My main concern is the Pristine Blue. Is there anything else I need to be worried about? I just don't want to find something out later and have to drain the pool.
    Dave

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool store got zero for the copper level, so you should be alright. Pool store results aren't totally reliable, but I suspect they are close enough this time and everything will be fine. If the water ever turns a clear transparent bright emerald green you will need to do something special, but otherwise things should be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice. How can I test for Copper myself?
    Dave

6. Back To Top    #6

You can buy the Copper test from TF test kits if you would like to test for copper at home.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!