Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ok, big problem. (for me anyways)

1. Back To Top    #1

Ok, big problem. (for me anyways)

Hello,

I was posting here yesterday about having cloudy water, but now I have another problem aside from that. It rained last night and this morning I found that the pool cover had fallen in the pool and that the water has an almost dark yellow tint to it. The pool is under an oak tree that has those little bud things that stain everything, I didn't know if that could cause the color or if the color was like algae or something?

Thanks for any help,

--Whitehat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ok, big problem. (for me anyways)

Can you post test results? That would help.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are the results,

FC 0
    ph < 8.2
    TA 170
    CH 330

--Whitehat

4. Back To Top    #4

You need to add chlorine asap! you also need to lower your ph. What is your CYA?
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

My CYA is 50. So is the yellow tint probably algae or stuff from the tree?

Thanks,

--Whitehat

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. Ouch you've got some issues that are easy to take care of.
    First you need to get some Chlorine in the pool and lower the PH.
    Here's some reading:
    Pool school. Lots of great info. I'm also posting some specific links to read:
    General link for info:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/
    Basic pool startup info:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ary_pool_guide
    How to shock your pool:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool

If you know the size of your pool you can use the pool calculator to get amounts to add (if you know the size it has a size calculator if you scroll to the bottom):
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Those links should get you going.
    Another option (I don't recommend) is going to a pool store and take their suggestions, but you make get "pool stored".
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/anoth...ple-t5537.html
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Lower the pH first.

How are you testing?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I am using an Hth 6-way test kit from Walmart. I just shocked it and added the pH decreaser. Was I wrong to add the bleach first and to add them one after the other? Also how will I know if I am maintaining the FC at shock level if my kit only tests up to 5ppm?

-Whitehat

9. Back To Top    #9

You need to order a better test kit. You can guess at it until you get a better kit by diluting the water sample 3 to 1 with chlorine free water then multiplying the result by 4. It's not precise but it'll get you to shock level.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Just another tidbit... when your FC is high your ph test won't likely measure accurately.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

11. Back To Top    #11

What do you mean diluting it 3 to 1 with chlorine free water?

Thanks,

--Whitehat

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehat
    What do you mean diluting it 3 to 1 with chlorine free water?

Thanks,

--Whitehat
    using distilled water, add 3parts distilled water and 1 part pool water. then do your test with that mixture.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok, I have been shocking the pool since yesterday morning. The water cleared up drastically in like 4-5 hours, but not yet clear. Today I continued shocking it, I vacuumed it, and scrubbed the insides of it. But still the water is not clear. Should I continue shocking until the water is completely clear?

--Whitehat

14. Back To Top    #14

You need to continue shocking until your CC is 0.5 ppm or less, your FC holds to within 1 ppm of loss or less overnight, and your water clears. Keep brushing, keep your FC at shock level, and keep running that filter. Do these things and you will get squared away.

15. Back To Top    #15

I will continue shocking, but I don't have any way of testing the CC or performing the OCLT.

Thanks for your response,

--Whitehat

16. Back To Top    #16

Today, I just checked the water, the water is what I think is crystal clear, but it has a kinda bad chlorine smell. Isn't the smell caused by CC? Should I continue shocking to get rid of the CC? Also I discovered the the test kit I have tests for TC not FC is that a problem?

--Whitehat