confused about adding dichlor to new pool water

Jun 3, 2011
I have filled the pool with water and according to the pool school #5 - The First 4 Days - I will need to add one ounce of dichlor for every 500 gallons of water, I added 3 1lb bags last night. Today I reread #5 and I cant seem to figure out if I added the correct amount. Can anyone help me with this? My plan was to add 3 1lb bags for the first 4 nights. I do have a TFT100 test kit and I checked the water before adding the dichlor, the ph was 8.2 I added muriatic acid according to the pool calculator instructions and lower ph to 7.5, before adding the dichlor.
Thanks for any advice!

thank you for responding.
Does this mean I should start adding bleach and bring my #'s up to where they should be accouding to the pool calculator? Or should I continue to do the 4 day shock to bring the CYA up to 30, and then start adding the bleach? I did check the PH before adding the dichlor last night.
New pool w/new water.

Dena

There are different ways to do it, each with advantages and disadvantages. If you already have the dichlor, you are probably better off using it for four days as you planned, though I suggest only using two lbs a day. However, the exact details depend on your current levels.

I check my #'s last night when I got home from work, the PH was 7.2 so I added 57 oz of borax, waited 1 hour and then added the 2 lbs of dechlor waited 3 hours and added 220 oz of 6% bleach (added both the borax & bleach according to pool calculator). I added the bleach because the water was green from sitting for 8 days with no chemicals. Unfortunately I forgot to bring last nights #'s with me to work this morning. I did manage to bring some pool water and did the test again this morning...so here are the results:
FC - 14ppm
CC - 0
TA - 130
CH - 100
CYA - 0 (CYA was 0 last night to)
I'm wondering why the CYA is showing 0? After 2 nights of adding dechlor is the normal?

Keep a count of the volume of dichlor added, you can calculate the CYA added that way. See the bottom of the Pool Calculator for The Effect of Adding Chemicals.

PS, start a log of pool tests and chemicals added. You will learn faster that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.